Boric Acid - Just need someone to check my math?

Apr 14, 2011
The Bluegrass State
I'm flirting with the idea of doing the boric acid thing instead of the Mule Team route as muriatic acid scares the bejeezus out of me... I simply do not care about the additional cost (if any).

That having been said, I assume my 17.5K vinyl lined in ground is currently sitting a big fat 0 borates. I entered 50 into the pool calculator and I'm told I need 668 oz by WEIGHT of boric acid. Divide that number by 16oz and it appears I need about 42 pounds of boric acid.

Duda Deisel has a 55lb bucket for $75 so if I'm right, that means I'll have some leftover for next year.

So....

1. Does my math add up?
2. Am I missing anything?
3. Do you just dump 42 pounds into the pool all at once?
4. How long do you stay out of the pool? That's a lot of chemical!
5. No other chemicals needed right?

Thanks and thanks so much for all the help. This is my first year with a pool and it's been a piece of a cake thanks to the help here (especially Jason!)

Yep, 42 lbs. It looks like you have everything right. I would pre-dissolve the boric acid in batches and pour slowly in front of a return with the pump running. Let the pump run for an hour, or more, test and adjust the PH if needed. You might need a small PH increase, you might not. Thats all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.