When to backwash sand filter if pressure never goes up?

rcy

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2009
Burlington, ON, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I know it's recommended to backwash a filter when the pressure rises a certain psi above the psi when the filter is clean - the psi rise caused by dirt/debris in the sand interfering the flow.

However, my pressure hasn't risen in the two months since I've opened the pool. (I don't have an extremely dirty pool (no leaves, twigs etc., just some dirt/dust/pollen and the usual dead bugs/worms).

Should I just forget about backwashing until the end of the season, or should I backwash after a certain amount of time 'just because'? I recall reading somewhere that the effectiveness of a sand filter actually increases as it gets dirtier (I guess up until there's too much dirt for proper flow).

Thanks.

The only thing to watch out for is the possibility that your pressure gauge is broken. As long as the filter pressure doesn't go up and the water flow from the returns is fine, then don't worry about it. But if the water flow from the returns goes down, then backwash the filter even if the gauge hasn't gone up.

Well I had a problem were a blockage/air caused my pressure to decrease thus masking my need to backwash when normally the pressure gauge would be sky high. I tested my theory by opening the drain to my filter just to check color which was green. You lose very little in a check process. If your going to do this make sure you bleed the pressure prior to trying to open this will make it possible to open the drain plug. Then bleed off the air after you reattach the drain plug.

JasonLion said:
The only thing to watch out for is the possibility that your pressure gauge is broken. As long as the filter pressure doesn't go up and the water flow from the returns is fine, then don't worry about it. But if the water flow from the returns goes down, then backwash the filter even if the gauge hasn't gone up.

Gauge is OK. It's a glycerin filled good quality gauge. Pressue goes to zero when pump is off. 22 when pump is on and solar off, and 27 when solar comes on. 22 is the reading after freshly backwashed by the way (like when opening and closing the pool).

Thanks.

You usually want to see a 20-25% increase from the "clean" pressure before you backwash.

It's an old thread but it didn't have the answer.

Reactions: ALK753
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.