Advice SWG beachfront pool

lazzua

Apr 2, 2009
Lima , Peru
I think it is time to switch over to SWG I built this pool in 2002 it is about 32,000 gallons. all poured concrete one solid piece . all glass mosaic tile 2cm x 2 cm.
It is right in front of the beach 40 meters from high tide mark on beach, get allot of wind in the afternoon from the SW (blows sand and wet breeze, it is sunny 98% of the year, 3 south from the equator, summer Jan- March it gets in the 90.s(70.s at night) in winter low 80,s (night low 60.s) here is a link to a photo of it http://www.mancoraperu.com/mancora.vich ... G_4214.JPG the wind comes from the the upper left hand corner of the pool straight from the ocean.
In our summer I have a very high bather load up to 15 in the pool at times but used allot.
What SWG should I get to keep up with the usage, location, etc. Is there a SWG that can do it?
I am tired of the Trichlor tabs as when the CYA gets way up there, the black algae starts up. using over a tab a day if not more in the summer, the PH tends to go up.
the city water is around 130 ppm TA, PH 7.6 calcium hardness 230ppm total hardness 550ppm
water here is expensive $2.20 USD per M3 1000lts (265 gal)
thank you in advance
LAZ

I can not give too much advice on the SWG ... may actually need 2 for a pool that size with the load (?)

Or I would love for you to pay me to add bleach every day :mrgreen:

Is bleach / liquid chlorine not an option due to availabilty / expense there?

jblauert
liquid chlorine is available at 8% $3 usd a gallon by the time we get it probably 7%, Trichlor tablets are $2 usd a Lb, i am going to check with the dealer here for 55 gallon drums but, i would probably need close to a drum a month. that would cost me $150 a month, the tabs cost me $40 us a month plus draining the pool every 3 months or less.

No advice to offer here, but just wanted to say that this is beyond gorgeous...my God :shock:

Hands down, this is the best pool setting I have seen during my time here on TFP...and that's saying something :cheers:
IMG_4214.JPG

Lershac said:
Wowthats nice. I would think a swg rated for sixty thousand gallons would do ya. Pentair sells one. What kind of filter setup do you have?

Also, during storms do you ever get a tidal surge?
I will look into that model. I have a big filter starite T-300BP-2, with a 2 hp pumpDuraGlass II StaRite PumpP4RA6G 188L, but will be changing that if I get the SWG will go with Iintelflo vs have never yet had the ocean water get to the pool, not much of tidal surge either the pol is about 11 feet above the ocean level, going to look into the pentair 60k

mx702 said:
No advice to offer here, but just wanted to say that this is beyond gorgeous...my God :shock:

Hands down, this is the best pool setting I have seen during my time here on TFP...and that's saying something :cheers:
IMG_4214.JPG

thank you it was really a real quite an experience building the home and pool as we had no power ythen and was one of the first homes on this beach had to use a bulldozer to knock down the dunes and level the area and build my own 300 ft foot road to get down to the beach here are some more pictures different views http://www.mancoraperu.com/mancora.vich ... G_4280.JPG this one you can see the tile and the mosaic turtles on the bottom, bought those in the US http://www.mancoraperu.com/mancora.vich ... G_4270.JPG

I just finished building this one at my home in Lima, Peru just replanted the yard, this one is small 11000 gallons 3.5 m X 9 m the one above at our beach in Mancora, Peru
http://www.mancoraperu.com/images-a1/DS ... isidro.JPG
http://www.mancoraperu.com/images-a1/DS ... isidro.JPG
http://www.mancoraperu.com/images-a1/DS ... Isidro.JPG
I am going to sleep thanks to all for the tips and advice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Strannik said:
if water is expensive you could get one of the models that work with sea water and use sea water in your pool, provided the rest of equipment can handle it

I would NOT do this. Salt in the ocean is generally 10 times as concentrated (depending on ocean conditions) at about 35000 ppm. A regular salt water pool at concentrations for use with a SWG is around 2800 to 6000 depending on the make and model of your SWG. At 3500 ppm, the salt can be tasted, but is not overpowering, and does not really leave much of a residue on your body. Living next to the ocean I imagine you know the residue the sea leaves on your body. I am not a fan.

I would think the higher concentration of salt would be much more corrosive as well.

there are models of SWG which work up to 35% of salt

salt can be tasted at sea, and people usually don't have a problem with it, hundreds of millions people swim in sea/ocean regularly and some pay lots of money for the privilege.

if the pool is built using suitable materials then there won't be any issues, especially given that the house is so close to sea anyway

it's purely a matter of personal taste, and sea water can be diluted with fresh water to give any desired concentration

using sea water is not an option(it will be to hard on everything) when I get the SWG I will not be dumping the pool water very often .
What i do have is well water I will get it analyzed it will be a bit brackish (not always) but probably have allot of nitrates and phosphates .
if you look at this satellite image I own the whole rectangle up to the road , you can see the top of the well.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=216 ... 9,0.007939

"had to use a bulldozer to knock down the dunes and level the area and build my own 3oo ft foot road"

WOW! In the US if you did that, by the time you got out of prison you'd be too old to swim!

Vickery said:
"had to use a bulldozer to knock down the dunes and level the area and build my own 3oo ft foot road"

WOW! In the US if you did that, by the time you got out of prison you'd be too old to swim!

that is the privilege of living in a third world country, 50 years (or more) ago you could do in the US no questions asked, look at all the old beach houses they are right on the water, even in Hawaii same thing

another thing you could do is get a flow through pool. pump your water from the sea into the pool and back out straight away. if you are the only one swimming in it you probably won't even need chlorine. would fall into same category of solutions as knocking down dunes :D

We did not bull dose all the way to the beach and really it was not sand dunes for the road to the house all the sand dunes are all untouched in front of the houses they are great protection from the wind. see this pictures when i built the road and the other two are the dunes on the beach http://www.mancoraperu.com/construction.htm
No way would pipe anything on the beach we built 50 meter from the highest water tide of the year. In Hawaii the law is only 50ft (less than 13.5 meters) from the high tide mark, I know I have a house there and built a pool there. So we did not do any damage to the beach as you can see in the photos.

Lazzua, just curious...are you an expat living in Peru? are you a builder by trade? your beach house set up is my dream retirement location...i have always saw my self retiring in a setting just like the one you own...except i realize that is not going to be affordable in the states.

Man you got it made!

Thanks...Bo

Robins Airman said:
Lazzua, just curious...are you an expat living in Peru? are you a builder by trade? your beach house set up is my dream retirement location...i have always saw my self retiring in a setting just like the one you own...except i realize that is not going to be affordable in the states.

Man you got it made!

Thanks...Bo

no was not a builder but since semi retiring have started bulding on my own. the house you see in Peru I built with a local crew in 6 months. all concrete block , one solid slab foundation one pour 12" deep and sides 24" deep uilt like granite. the whole house sits on it. all type V cement as we are so close to the ocean, same as the pool one pour 1/2"rebar all type V cement.
I could go an on but the topic is SWG and this week will decide on which one as there are not many choice after 50,000 gallons.
Basically that I can see these are my options:
A. autopilot RC52 or CC15 $1500+
B. IntelliChlor IC60 $970
C. CompuPool CPSC48 $750
D. is there anything else I left out whast about the autochlor brand from AU??
Do not know if I am allowed to put the prices or not if I did wrong please delete prices.
this is decision time any last comments would be helpful
thank you LAZZUA

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.