Overflow device?

DONNIE

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
OKLAHOMA
We have been getting soooooooooo much rain lately and more heavy rains expected around 6:00 this evening. I have drained anywhere from 2 to 5 inches of water out almost every night this week just to keep it from overflowing. Not only is it screwing up my water chemistry but it is a major PITA. I have Googled everything I can think of as far as automatic overflow protection with no results. Does such a device exist? Surely I'm not the first with this problem.

Donnie

You would need a sump pump with a float on it I would imagine. Could you dig up the skimmer line someplace between the skimmer and the pump, and put in a sump pit, and put a sump pump in it and pipe it someplace else? Like a sprinkler system, or a large tank for a sprinkler system.

I don't know about a stand-alone device though to be honest, but I really like my idea. :)

My water can overflow through vents in the water line tile. The 2 vents are tied into my surface area drainage system out to the street. Are you looking for a permanent solution or something you put in the pool temporarily?

Im thinking about a valve that can be hard installed just under the coping edge and PVC run to my sewer system. Maybe it could open up when the water gets an inch or so from the top. I don't think that just gravity draining thru 1" PVC would do the trick but 2" might work. I have easy access to the sewer line about 10' from the pool.

Donnie

You would still have to physically operate the valve. What if you inserted a Tee in the line, say either at a 45 degree angle, or a 90 degree for that matter, and when the pool water rose say whatever the take off for the invert of the Tee to the invert of the lateral connection from the bend is, it would just drain...

DONNIE said:
Im thinking about a valve that can be hard installed just under the coping edge and PVC run to my sewer system. Maybe it could open up when the water gets an inch or so from the top. I don't think that just gravity draining thru 1" PVC would do the trick but 2" might work. I have easy access to the sewer line about 10' from the pool.

Donnie

Gravity would do the trick depending on how much grade you have to work with. I dont have any valves on mine. If the water gets too high it just runs out the overflow vents to some pvc pipe plumbed into underground yard/deck drains. Then out to the street.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.