Problem adjusting PH

LeeM2

Jul 3, 2010
I tried adjusting PH 3-4 times this season, but it climbs back to 7.8 in a couple of days.

My TF kit from last year shows TA at 100. Leslies Taylor 70, 80, 90 (depending on the store). I found a Leslies employee I like and watched her do it twice - both times I counted 7 drops myself.

I keep my TF kit covered in the box it came in (plastic + cartoon). Kit was in the garage over the winter, where the temperature was above freezing, may have dropped to 32 once or twice but I doubt it. (I monitor temp in the garage - have water pipes there)

Could my kit go bad or is leslies Taylor over concentrated?
Can "Ph Down" ("pool time" product from home depot) have an expiration date? I used it all already, and just now added some "Ph Down" ("aqua chem" product from target). Both products were purchased last year

I use liquid chlorine, my other parameters are within range and I have not done any work with the pool surface (concrete).

please advise.

P.S. (919) 528-1104 - TFTestKits.com contact number is occasionally out of service. I tried calling 4 times, 3 times I got an "out of service" message

I would try to keep adjusting it down and see if it settles finally. Can't tell you if I'd agree w/your kit or Leslies... How many times did you do the test yourself?

If you have any active aeration... a waterfall, swg, or splashing in the pool it can cause your ph to rise regularly.

Have you had a lot of rain? That can aerate and add/change the chemical balance a bit if you've had enough.

Suziqzer said:
I would try to keep adjusting it down and see if it settles finally. Can't tell you if I'd agree w/your kit or Leslies... How many times did you do the test yourself?
3-4 times. Every single time I get 10 drops
Suziqzer said:
If you have any active aeration... a waterfall, swg, or splashing in the pool it can cause your ph to rise regularly.
Don't have that
Suziqzer said:
Have you had a lot of rain? That can aerate and add/change the chemical balance a bit if you've had enough.
We did have a few rains this season, but I thought rain brings Ph down, not up.

I've had rain swing my pH both ways. It baffled me too!

You know you can use muriatic acid to lower pH, right? You don't have to buy from the pool store.

If you continue to have wildly swinging pH, you might be a candidate for adding borates.

RobbieH said:
I've had rain swing my pH both ways. It baffled me too!

You know you can use muriatic acid to lower pH, right? You don't have to buy from the pool store.
I don't know the difference between muriatic acid and "Ph down" products, but I got my aqua chem "Ph down" from target when they had it on clearance, $2 for 5LB, which I figured is pretty cheap.
RobbieH said:
If you continue to have wildly swinging pH, you might be a candidate for adding borates.
I'll have to read up on this - know nothing about it. But first I want to make sure my TA is within range. I was able to get a hold of an answering service for tfkits and now waiting for a call back. If my TA is indeed out of range, I guess I'd need to adjust it first before I try anything else.

Duraleigh and his wife own TFtestkits.net. He also happens to own TFP, so if there is an issue with the phone, you can certainly PM him. Dave is a great guy with an excellent customer service record.

If you PH is rising rapidly and the pool has a saltwater generator or source of aeration, such as a spill over spa or waterfall, you may consider lowering TA to 60. Borates at 50ppm also slows the rate of PH rise, so you'll still need to add acid just less frequently.

You are correct by the way, make sure your TA is correct before adding borates. It's far more difficult to adjust once borates are in.

For what it's worth, I don't consider your TA range of 70-100 to be bad.

FWIW, my pH test from the TF-100 and a slightly older Taylor kit I had before I bought the TF-100 both show pH a little higher than the pool store's tests. The stores are usually 10-20 lower. This can be a problem for me with my constantly rising pH and rising CH. The difference between 110 and 90 TA significantly changes the CSI.

If so, how do I calculate how much Ph I'm adding with 1 gallon of chlorine?
You aren't adding any. LQ is virtually net PH neutral and will have little if any affect on your pH.

Please PM me and let me know when you tried to call. We had a 1-2 hour power outage a few days ago and our wireless phones weren't available to us during that period. That's the only time I can think of.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.