NEW Pump and Filter

ibyrne

Jun 29, 2011
New Belmar, nj owner with old inground pool

Need new filter and pump 4 a inground 30,000 gal pool.

Is Ecostar from Hayward worth the money? I want to stick with this brand but I also would like to be energy efficient. If not, which model of hayward pump would u suggest?

The pool has an old(needs replacement) DE filter(my first experience with this stuff) isn't all that backwashing counterproductive because you re flushing out treated water?

My above ground pool(former home) had a hayward cartridge filter. Is a cartridge filter a foolish purchase (soooo expensive)for an inground pool that may have a 4 month season at most? Does sand need all this backwashing 2?

Just bought salt chlorinator still in box. Pool has vinyl liner probably will need replacement next yr. I kow this sounds like I'm rambling but I don't know what info a responder might need to help me make a decision

Please HELP the green swamp in the yard needs HELP!!

Welcome to TFP!

The EcoStar is new this season, so we don't have long term reliability data, but in all other ways it seems fine.

A variable speed pump normally only makes financial sense if your electric rates are above $0.20/kwh. At lower electric rates a two speed pump is nearly always a better deal.

The kind of filter that is best is something of a personal choice. Each kind is better is some ways and worse in others. If you are primarily concerned about water usage you should get a cartridge filter. DE is the most work and gives the cleanest water. Sand filters are the least work and give very good but not quite as good water quality. Cartridge filters use the least water and are otherwise in between the other two.

As a general rule you want the largest filter you have room for and can afford. Larger filters filter better and go longer between back-washings/cleanings. Likewise you generally want the smallest pump that will work. The exact pump size depend both on the size of the pool and if you have any other water features: spa, waterfall, fountain, etc.

I just purchased a Hayward DE pro series filter. For me after having cartridges (two different models) DE is the way to go. DE systems filter much more than both sand and cartridge. In my opinion the cartridge system is money foolishly wasted. The cartridges are way to expensive and only last a year in my experience they lose filtering ability almost right away. The cleaning process for cartridges is too hard and problematic without using pressure and of course that will destroy the thin cloth filter. Most require you to soak the filter for hours which will never get the filter back to new condition. DE does so a better job 5 microns compared to 40 microns of cleaning and I even dispute the 40 microns figure as being too good. My pool under a cartridge system (two different ones) never got crystal clean it was always cloudy and this is because of the small particles not being filtered, I also had dirty water being returned to the pool via the pool filtering in the cartridge system. Save yourself the problems of cleaning and buying cartridges and go with DE. Sand is another issue its also from what I have read 40 microns its easier but I hear you get some sand back in the pool and of course the filtering is not as good as DE. Your call but I would go with the best filter and put up with the DE powder having to be added, to me its just like adding any other chemical just part of the overall process.

ocgamer, your experiences are not even remotely typical. Most people here who have cartridges have them last many years and only need to clean them once or twice a year. Likewise, even a sand filter (the least good filter) will almost always give crystal clear water that few people can distinguish from DE filtered water. Getting sand back into the pool is extremely rare, most people never have that happen. Getting DE into the pool from a DE filter is actually much more common.

ocgamer said:
I just purchased a Hayward DE pro series filter. For me after having cartridges (two different models) DE is the way to go. DE systems filter much more than both sand and cartridge. In my opinion the cartridge system is money foolishly wasted. The cartridges are way to expensive and only last a year in my experience they lose filtering ability almost right away. The cleaning process for cartridges is too hard and problematic without using pressure and of course that will destroy the thin cloth filter. Most require you to soak the filter for hours which will never get the filter back to new condition. DE does so a better job 5 microns compared to 40 microns of cleaning and I even dispute the 40 microns figure as being too good. My pool under a cartridge system (two different ones) never got crystal clean it was always cloudy and this is because of the small particles not being filtered, I also had dirty water being returned to the pool via the pool filtering in the cartridge system. Save yourself the problems of cleaning and buying cartridges and go with DE. Sand is another issue its also from what I have read 40 microns its easier but I hear you get some sand back in the pool and of course the filtering is not as good as DE. Your call but I would go with the best filter and put up with the DE powder having to be added, to me its just like adding any other chemical just part of the overall process.

No doubt DE has the best filtering ability. That said, a properly operating filter, including sand, with proper water chemistry will always provide crystal clear water, with only a noticable difference at night, with a pool light on :goodjob:

Edit: Jason beat me to it, but we're saying the same...back when I had a DE filter, I loved it's filtering ability, but it also has drawbacks, like sand, DE can up up in your pool if the grids/fingers go bad. It's really a personal choice, and all 3 will serve well.

DE and sand, may alter chemistry somewhat with backwashing, but in the NE you'll likely have that anyway with occassional rain/water replacement.

There are many pictures on the forum that prove this.

I am on my 6th year with the same set of cartridges so I think cartridge life has a lot to do with how often you clean them and how you clean them. For me, cleaning the filter is fairly easy and only takes about an hour for four cartridges. Plus since I oversized the filter, I only need to clean it once a year which I believe has a big impact on cartridge life. At this point, I don't think I would go with anything else.

Thx to all bought a hayward 300lb sand filter after hearing the price of each cartridge. Old filter was DE wasn"t a fan. I ws told I can throw in some DE into sand filter is that prudent?

I ws told I can throw in some DE into sand filter is that prudent?
Probably not necessary. The DE simply restricts the sand filter flow and many people have good success not using it.

Get comfortable with it for a week or so and, if you are then not satisfied, I would suggest the DE addition.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.