Where does my CYA go?

My backstory is on the algae board about shocking my pool..

Anyway, I've been shocking, but I started the season with 0 CYA. I started adding CYA 2 lbs at a time, so I didn't end up with too high of a number.

Added 2 lbs in a sock in the skimmer. Waited a week, tested. Doesn't register on the TFT kit.

Added 2 more lbs in a sock in front of the return jet in the center of the pool. Waited a week. Doesn't register on the test.

Added 2 more lbs in the sock in front of the return jet. Still nothing on the test..

I'm adding my last 2 lbs of CYA in the sock. My water levels are holding steady; there is not a leak. You would think after 6 lbs something would show up, it's not that big of a pool! Also, I wait at least 3 days after the last of the cya is dissolved before cleaning the filter.

I'm still fighting algae, because I get such strong sunlight. I get sunburned at 9:30am (changing the motor) and got sunburned tonight at 7pm cleaning the filter. I'm pretty pasty, but maybe that gives you an idea of what kind of light I'm getting.

My water is slowly getting clearer but I feel like I'm never going to get ahead of the game because I lose most of my chlorine during the day! Anyone have any advice?

Melissa, sunburned and cranky :cry:

I wouldn't add CYA in such small increments. The amounts you are adding are smaller than the precision of the test, and no where near the amount you should be targeting. Adding 1/2 or 2/3 of the CYA at a time makes sense. Adding 1/5 of the CYA at a time is a waste of time and chlorine.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you can lose CYA while you have algae if you are not adding enough chlorine at the same time.

OMFG

I tested the water this morning, and I finally have measurable CYA. I took filling the tube, and I could just barely make out the dot, but there is finally changes!

Now the question is, did this come from the last two lbs that I just added? My sock was empty after last night, but I thought it takes a week to show up on the test? I'm thinking I should hold off on adding any more until I test again a week later?

:rockon:

Generally when we add CYA we do not bother to test for at least a week. Just proceed with your calculated value and record as such, that is"CYA 35 calculated from addition last Thursday"
So, use the CYA value you get based on the 10 lbs you added. When we added stabilizer from walmart to the pool at the beach I was helping with, we tested 3 weeks later and it was all there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.