Vinyl pool and cement porch troubles :(

Jun 23, 2010
So my mom and I are trying to figure out some ways to take care of the house and create something a little more permanent in our backyard. We had a deck that my dad and I replaced all the top boards on about 7 years ago, but the underside rot was getting worse and the deck was again starting to fall apart. My dad passed away a little over a year ago so I needed to do something about this. Rebuilding a deck from the ground up like this was more than a one man job I do not have 50 years of "dad" experience to do this, or a fallback paycheck if I botch the job.

My mom and I looked over our options and we decided to go with a concrete porch in the backyard to replace the deck. 1. Cement is not prone to rot and termites, and being in northern california it is not if you have either of those, but how bad you have them. 2. Once I move out of here (soon I hope) it will be a relativley no-maintenance solution. At least until the next big earthquake :D.

So we got a guy from our church that works for a cement company to do a side job for us. Gave us a quote that we were good with and I started the demo. A couple days later and half a dozen dump runs no more deck. So cement man comes out to spray some lines to get ideas of how we wanted the porch set up and told us about the abutment he needed to order to accommodate the vinyl pool and notices the pool is not completely square so he wanted to get that fixed before he started to pour. Obviously needed to be done. Pool contractor comes out and tells us the boards lining the edge of the pool to raise it to the edge of the deck are all rotted and would need to be replaced before the cement goes down. Crapola. Well, this is something that would have to be done eventually as it was pretty bad.

Unfortunately, to do this we would have to reline the pool. Another cost we didn't want to incur but what can be done? Our liner was only going to last another couple years, and the people that relined it last did a Tick-poor job of shaping the underlying sand and the deep end is completely irregular. So we could get this remedied at the same time.

After calling about 13 places, the best suggestion we had for long term was to get the thing reformed with new wood, relined and then something I had not heard of before: spray the vinyl with fiberglass. A quick googling shows me that this is uncommon but does make nice long lasting pools. Basically they gel the pool and spray it with fiberglass in sections to create a custom pool.

1. Has anyone heard of this or had it done? If so, what was your impression or experience?
2. Do you know of any other options for taking care of the out of square pool problem? Simply adding more wood will not help.3

thanks

Having fiberglass laid in place like that is very sensitive to the skill of the people doing the work. If you get a good crew it can come out wonderfully. If they don't know what they are doing there can be constant problems.

JasonLion said:
Having fiberglass laid in place like that is very sensitive to the skill of the people doing the work. If you get a good crew it can come out wonderfully. If they don't know what they are doing there can be constant problems.

Other than the obvious things like checking for diamond certification, licensing, etc. What would I do to verify I get guys that will do a good, long lasting job?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.