Can overflow really handle the rain?

Dee

Nov 4, 2007
Chattanooga TN
Hey, we're finally getting rain down south here where we need it but I need to know what to do tonight. I've already gone out twice and backwashed/rinsed a few inches of water out but am wondering what to do tonight. I'm afraid the overflow can't handle it (it couldn't the only other time we had rain this past spring during the day) and after getting the new liner I don't want to chance it. What do you guys do -- get up every hour or so and check? Thanks for your help!

Dee said:
Hey, we're finally getting rain down south here where we need it but I need to know what to do tonight. I've already gone out twice and backwashed/rinsed a few inches of water out but am wondering what to do tonight. I'm afraid the overflow can't handle it (it couldn't the only other time we had rain this past spring during the day) and after getting the new liner I don't want to chance it. What do you guys do -- get up every hour or so and check? Thanks for your help!

Don't worry about it. The water that will come out of the pool is exactly the same as would be there if it was flat ground that was getting rained on. Backwash when you have time. Don't forget the rain will dilute the pool water, so your calcium, CYA and chlorine could all be lower.

Thanks for the quick reply! I've emptied an inch at least each hour and was worried what might happen during the night. Our ground is so dry it's hard for the rain to soak in and it turns to run off which has a great chance of going into the pool.

Dee, in drought situations, I would think that you would want as much help from Mother Nature as possible. I would let the drain worry about levelling the pool back out. We actually picked up about 3 inches of rain just a few days back. I was hopeful the rains were coming because with the recent dry weather, the evaporation of my pool was dropping my water below acceptable levels. As John already mentioned, make sure you keep a good watch on your chemistry. Good Luck.

I am very grateful for the rain -- I got to wash a load of clothes! :-D Last time we had rain it came down so fast the ground was too dry and hard to absorb it. It flooded the yard and came over the concrete near the pool's edge and the overflow couldn't handle it. I was just glad it was in the daytime and I was at home when it happened.

When it rained this time I just checked every couple of hours but everything went ok. The rain came down, then would let up, then come down, then let up . . so not the same as before. As a newbie I guess I'm learning that it just depends on the conditions but generally the overflow should handle it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.