SOS pad on steps = now rust

Apr 3, 2007
Central Texas
Man I feel really dumb!!!

I own a vinyl-liner pool and there was lots of stained dirt that was really hard to remove off the plastic stairs.

I finally found a solution and that was to use an SOS pad to scrub off the dirt off the stair case. It came out and worked.

BUT--- now I have a problem. The stairs got rust and is stuck on the stair area. I back washed as far as I can go. All the steps have brown rush all over the stairs. I tried everything to remove the rust stain on the stairs. I even pressure washed it and it's not coming out. Its bad!! Real bad!!

It rusted b/c I have an SWG and the SOS pad has metal element in it, that is what caused it to rust. NOW I feel like SOL.

Guys, I really need to know what to do to get off the rust off the stairs. Any ideas?? help.... :(

Thanks,

Titanium,

Sure here are some pictures I just took. Its stubborn stains of rust.

--- But I am thinking this product may work:
http://intheswim.com/Pool-Chemicals/Poo ... y/#reviews

Here are the pics:

P1020625.jpg

P1020621.jpg

P1020629.jpg

Try taking some crushed vitamin C tablets and putting the powder in a sock and gently rubbing the areas with metal stains. You should see some change within the first minute, if you don't we will need to try something else. It may take a couple of applications, but very likely that will lift the rust stains off.

No, you don't need to drain the water at all. The goal is really to get some vitamin C to dissolve in the water right near the stains. Putting the powder in a sock is an easy way to control where it dissolves.

Jason,

Well I tried the vitamin 'C' in the sock and smashed up the vitamens in the sock. Its a no go.

I then went to the pool warehouse and they recommend a 19.00 product made by GLB - called STAIN MAGNET

Here:

http://www.ameri-brand.com/php/pool-sto ... magnet.php

That did not work and now out on 20.00 bux and now I have a lot of vitamin C pills (but thats good for me, guess I was lacking in that dept) :)

Any other ideas??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JasonLion said:
The next thing to try is a trichlor tablet. Gently rub a small area with a trichlor tablet and see if the stains fade at all.

I have yet to try what you mentioned above, however---- I did buy this one product that is in a little sac/soc that contains oxalic acid. I purchased two packages and what your suppose to do is lay the soc over the rust area and let it sit w/o the pool pump NOT running and it suppose to remove the rust. Well, I tried it and it works, but only on the spot I laid it at.

Only bad thing is that these little oxalic acid soc's are only about 4" x 4" in size. So I will need to lay a Crud load of these out. Now, is this the best solution? I want something that I can get that is comparable and work as efficient as these little oxalic acid socs does. What do you recomment?

(By the way, these little socs I had to do nadda, but lay the soc over the rust stain and let it site / no labor needed)

Also is oxalic acid harmfull to skin or anything else in the pool?

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.