Recommendation for a cleaner

vik

Jun 4, 2011
I have a large pool (100,000 gallons). I'm doing some window shopping for a good cleaner. It looks like there used to be a booster pump in there for one or more pressure cleaners before I moved in. I don't necessarily want a pressure cleaner but the plumbing for it is there... Anyway, would anyone be able to recommend a cleaner that would be able to handle the size of my pool?

I'd say price is more important than quality for many reasons but primarily because I don't mind helping the cleaner out :)

Holy cow I thought I had a big pool!

I don't know how accurate what I was told is, but I was told to go robot rather than suction or pressure side cleaner for a pool my size. I'm not even sure if my robot would be effective in your pool or not though.

I would say a lot depends on what sort fo things tend to get into your pool, my pool is an indoor pool surrounded by sliding glass doors, so most debris tends to be small ranging from dust and dirt up through dead bugs, small rocks and the occasional small acorn or leaf. For years I have used various suction side cleaners, and they mostly worked, earlier this year I decided it was time to try a robot cleaner (ended up buying a lightly used Dolphin Dynamic off ebay for $350 as I did not want to spend $800+ just to try one out) and I can tell you I am a convert, when this one wears out I will certainly be investing in a new robotic cleaner . The robot is great, does not get hung up the way the suciton side cleaner could, is easier to remove from the pool when not in use (maybe a bit heavier, but no bulky wet hose to deal with). It also has its own independant filter bag so all the trash does not just go into the main filter.

reposted below what was posted on another thread about a big pool.
from what I can see, the warranties on commercial cleaners aren't as good as on the blue diamond or blue diamond remote. those would be the top choice. you effectively will be throwing out the cleaner if its out of warranty. so blue diamond is around 900 dollars, thats less than 250 per year. if it lasts longer great. also depends on the shape of the pool, if its a strange shape, you will likely want the robotic model as its turning is much better.

i would get a blue diamond, 4 year warranty on motors is key when its getting a major work out. of course you'll probably still blow a powersupply right after the warranty runs out on that.

i don't know the warranty for commercial cleaners, but if they have a decent warranty than that is an option.

usually i would stay away from the remote controlled ones as they are much more complex,but they are also more efficient as they have two motors to turn. so you might want to look at the blue diamond remote.

just remember that every part is basically 2X the price if you need to replace it. brushes are twice the price, cable is twice the price etc.

Anything less than a 2k-4k commercial cleaner will take so long to clean that pool (unless it's 50"deep....you don't give the dimensions) that you will wish you had never purchased one.

My Blue Diamond takes three hours to adequately clean my 24 x 52 pool.....yours is twice that size.

It seems like hardly anyone on this forum believes this but you MUST pay for cleaning power. I doubt ANY of the cleaners mentioned above even have long enough cords to reach the ends of your pool

A residential cleaner would be like buying an Austin mini-cooper for your family of seven. As you look at these cleaners, you will find they ALL say "cleans any pool up to xx X xx" (20 X 40 for example).

Well, you can imagine how a manufacturer will stretch that bit of info to the outer limits of truthfulness so you had better get a cleaner that will clean a pool 25% bigger than yours at least.

If your pump is big enough, you can get a vac head that is 24" I think and save all that money by manually vacuuming....there goes Saturdays!!

it depends on the dimentions of course. but you could run the robot twice as well. or with a remote model do some spot cleaning depending on what it missed.

duraleigh said:
Anything less than a 2k-4k commercial cleaner will take so long to clean that pool (unless it's 50"deep....you don't give the dimensions) that you will wish you had never purchased one.

My Blue Diamond takes three hours to adequately clean my 24 x 52 pool.....yours is twice that size.

It seems like hardly anyone on this forum believes this but you MUST pay for cleaning power. I doubt ANY of the cleaners mentioned above even have long enough cords to reach the ends of your pool

A residential cleaner would be like buying an Austin mini-cooper for your family of seven. As you look at these cleaners, you will find they ALL say "cleans any pool up to xx X xx" (20 X 40 for example).

Well, you can imagine how a manufacturer will stretch that bit of info to the outer limits of truthfulness so you had better get a cleaner that will clean a pool 25% bigger than yours at least.

If your pump is big enough, you can get a vac head that is 24" I think and save all that money by manually vacuuming....there goes Saturdays!!

duraleigh said:

I actually checked the links on my original post and realized I linked the residential Blue Diamond instead of the commercial one. I am not sure of the cost, but I would think that the commerical model would be sufficient if the stats are correct.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.