New to (AG) pool owning and BBB

Jun 20, 2011
Texas
Hey y'all! First time pool owner from TX here. We are getting ready to set up our metal frame pool this weekend. We have the ground level and ready to go...will be setting pavers to go under the feet of the pool before the weekend. I'm very interested in the BBB method and while I have read on it and get the overall gist of it, but I don't completely understand it and don't think that I will until I'm in the process...water, test kit, supplies all in hand. I have a TF100 test kit due to be delivered on Thursday. I'm looking to for a "BBB shopping list for dummies" I guess. Obviously, I need bleach, bakind soda and borax right? But is it just regular bleach like Clorox? Arm&Hammer Baking Soda? 20 Mule Team Borax? What quantities should I start out buying? I'm just completely lost on where to start. Any addition products/chemicals I should plan to have on hand to save multiple trips to town?

Another thing...we will be filling the pool with well water. Our (unfiltered) water contains a certain amount of iron...we had our water tested when shopping around for a filter system and the tech noted the iron but said it wasn't a significant amount (we purchased a filter system more so for the stinky sulphur problem lol). Will it be ok to fill the pool from the outside faucet with unfiltered water or should we rig something up to fill it with ozone filtered water from in the house?

AND the last thing...I have a nephew that I know will want to swim as soon as the pool is up (even though the well water is crazy cold and it'll be days before the pool warms up any). Should I let him swim before worrying about adjusting any of the "chemical" levels? Or how best should I deal with this situation?

Thanks for any and all help! I just want to make sure I have on hand what I will most likely need to do everything right the first time.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Here is a great link for beginners

bbb-for-beginners-t5208.html

You've got the TF100 (awesome :whoot: ), besides that you'll want some regular unscented 6% bleach (3-5gals to start) and some CYA/Stabilizer. Baking soda, borax, or muratic acid may or may not be required, but what will determine that is the TA and PH of your fill water, so do test your fill water when you get the kit :goodjob:

Get your kit, test your water, then see what you need. Bleach, granular CYA, and some muriatic acid is all I would buy right now. Welcome! Get those 3 right first and let him freeze his tushie off!

I know it's in some people's "signature" here, but don't forget about the pool calculator here: http://www.poolcalculator.com/
First, be sure to set up the "Suggested Goal Levels" section by changing dropdown to "Use Troublefreepool.com" and "Bleach" as your sanitizer, and "Vinyl" as your pool surface.
Then you should also plug numbers into "Estimate Pool Volume" near the bottom of page. If you have a round pool, choose "Round" (which ignores length) from dropdown first, then choose your "width" (ex.- 24 for 24ft round) and then depth (ex- 4 for 48" deep or if your pool is 52" deep then 4.3) then plug the "Gallons" amount that it calculates into upper left corner of Pool Calculator. So if your pool, like mine, is 24ft. Round by 52" deep then it holds 14,600 gallons. Hope this helps. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.