What do you guys think about this?

G

well, i went to the pool store this morning to pay for my closing and chemicals used, thankfully i wont need them to open since i watched what they did and i have you guys :-D

anyway, when i pulled up there was a BIG PROTEST, people with signs saying pools were a waste of water, how people who have private pools are stupid, pool chemicals are bad for the earth, were destroying the earth when we dig for our pools, and while walking in there were doing everything but spitting on me one guy even told me to F-off and F-the pool store and F- me for owning a pool. i just ignored them as best i could and talked to the manager and he had already called the police. but i mean is this how america has gotton that im not alowed to enjoy the rest of my retired life? this threw me for a loop. whats your take on this?

If they drove to the pool store, then they added to air pollution and to carbon dioxide to contribute to global warming. If they lived in a home and heated it, then they also consumed resources. If they don't have a compost pile and throw away any garbage, then they are adding to landfills, etc. Our very existence on this planet consumes resources. It's all a matter of degree and balance so that we consume resources more slowly so that natural processes can replenish them (when possible).

To that end, a pool does consume some resources, but like anything else we do it can be mitigated. Water loss can be significantly reduced by using a pool cover to virtually eliminate evaporation. Chemical usage can be minimized through the techniques we've learned here on this forum -- one can have the pH be very stable through adjustment of TA and then one needn't add acids or bases. So the only ongoing chemical is chlorine and that is mostly a use of energy since the chlorine was originally created by electrolysis from brine (salt) water (or locally from an SWG). The chlorine converts to chloride when it is "used up".

As for water usage, landscaping can take a lot of water and anyone that has a typical lawn is using a lot of water. Even 300 gallons per day is 9000 gallons per month so a few months of watering is enough to fill up a pool. The difference is that once a pool is filled, it isn't usually drained and refilled. Also, one can often use winter rains to dilute pool water. The main problem is that this dilution drains the water and its chemicals into the sewer system, but this is mostly salt water (sodium chloride) plus calcium carbonate. In some jurisdictions, the water treatment plants don't like high salt levels so SWG pools at 3000 ppm would be more of an issue though even manually dosed chlorine pools will build up their salt levels over time. At least with SWG pools there shouldn't be any need to dilute or drain it -- at least not very often.

In terms of destruction of the planet, our energy consumption using non-renewable resources (e.g. oil, gas, etc.) is by far the biggest problem. Pollution and toxic wastes, especially in other countries such as China and Russia is also a big problem. As far as these protesters are concerned, I believe their heart is in the right place, but their protest is directed towards a much smaller problem area. They probably just need to be better educated about this. Perhaps you can help them if they can stop shouting obscenities long enough. :shock:

Richard

while i agree with what your saying, me and my too oldest are not the tree hugger crazys which is what these guys were, hippies if you ask me. but were republican, i guess thats where that comes from, i was just shocked that people really did this, and how it affected me, there were ready to beat me up to stop me from going in to the store.

awhile back pita was infront of KFC chicken protesting how they were crewel to chickens. they were going as far as beating up cars hitting them with hammers and throwing rocks and the whindshields, thankfully i was no ware near kfc but i heard it all over the news that night.

I agree that their behavior was inappropriate. No one should make anyone else feel unsafe and should certainly not threaten nor initiate violence. I was just commenting on their environmental stance. Sitting down with the most rational of them and discussing this is the only way these things get sorted out. Otherwise, people just take sides and find it more important to be "right" than to work together to help each other. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. It's like having PETA members throw blood on people wearing mink coats -- not an appropriate way to address a legitimate problem of harsh treatment of animals (minks).

Richard

Big Protest

I think these people have too much time on their hands and nothing to do. Protesting about pools sounds more like jeloucy to me. Maybe the same people need to worrry about global warming or something else instead? I wonder how many of them have changed their light bulbs and boughten Energy Star appliences or reusable grocery bags? They need to make sure their own back yard is in order before protesting about somone elses.. IMHO Kimrst

Chem Geek, as usual you've stated things very well.

Rollin, I would point out one thing, being environmentally responsible (not crazed) and a conservative, are not mutually exclusive. I doubt that is what you meant, but just thought I would clarify for anyone who may have missunderstood.

I'm guessing some of this was spured on by the ongoing drought in the SE United States. Extremes breed extremes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.