Should I or should I not?

Butcher

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 13, 2010
Well I am finally getting ready to open my pool. The water has been sitting stagnant since I filled it last fall but has filled up over time due to rain. I am just finishing the plumbing now and I want to get it up and running. Needless to say it is a swamp. I had a pool guy come over yesterday to check it out and he said the fastest way to get it up and running would be to drain out most of the green water, clean out all the debris and refill the pool. He said this was the only way to get it up and running for the long weekend. The kids have been waiting forever to swim so I decided to do what he said. Now after I fill the pool back up he said to add 10 gallons of liquid chlorine to the 10,000 gallons of pool water. what concerns me is he wanted me to pour the two five gallon pails in at the stairs. He says that chlorine is heavier than water so it will sweep through the bottom of the shallow end down into the deep end and will kill the algae faster.

Now I thought I read that you don't want to have concentrated chlorine sitting on your liner for fear of it bleaching or staining it. keep in mind I have no main drains in my five foot deep end of the pool so that chlorine will probably sit there a while before it is circulated.

Should I do as he says?

Any input is appreciated
Thanks

NO!!!

Ok now that we've got that out of the way.
10 gallons of 12% will raise your FC to 120 and with no CYA in your pool not only will you have a white liner but you'll be able to see what's under your pool in a little while. Especially with no circulation.

You need the pump running and to seriously shock it according to the Pool School method.

I don't know why people suggest this. Of course it isn't their pool.

I wouldn't. You can help the circulation by brushing the pool, but you are talking about adding enough chlorine to raise your FC by 100-120ppm depending on the chlorine strength, without any mention of CYA level.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

I guess what first worried me about this guy was when he told me to drain the pool down to almost nothing. I told him I didn't think that was a good idea removing all the water and having no weight to keep the liner in place. I did remove most of the water taking it down to about 5 inches in the shallow end. I filled it up about a foot from there and then drained it down again to dilute it even more. Now I am filling it back up and will get it circulating. Then I was going to add chemicals to the levels of the pool calculator.

Do you have a link to the pool school method?

thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.