Challenger vs Whisperflow vs Intelliflo

May 19, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
The 2hp Challenger pump that looks to be original on my pool (22 years old) sounds like the bearings are starting to give up. The 22 years in the desert sun have made the motor tag unreadable and much of the plastic very brittle. So I'm at a bit of a crossroads and could use some advice.

I see a few possible solutions...

1. Rebuild motor
2. Replace motor - I've pretty much ruled this out due to the cost compared to a new pump
3. Replace with new Challenger - although I don't know if its a High flow(head) or High Pressure?? I think High flow...
4. Replace with whisperflow - they are quiet, but is the challenger a "better" pump? I'm curious because the whisperflow is cheaper...I certainly want durability.
5. Replace with Intelliflow - with the rebates locally, it is only a couple hundred more. See issues below.

I'm having trouble seeing how I could make the intelliflow work without major piping changes as my pump intake has a single valve from the pool that adjusts between the vacuum port (for my floor cleaner) and the skimmer (which I assume is connected with the main drain). On a slow pumping speed, the Intelliflow wouldn't run my cleaner.

I would go with the Whisperflo WFDS-6/28 or WFDS-8/30. The WFDS-6/28's hi speed curve is equal to or better than what you have now. If you wanted a little more flow through the waterfall you could go up to the WFDS-8/30. The advantage of going with the 2-speed is that you can save some power usage during normal circulation and use the high speed when cleaning or for the waterfall.

I think my pool would benefit from additional flow from the 8/30, as my skimmer "current" isn't exceptionally strong. My waterfall is on a separate pump, so I'm leaving that at is for now.

With a two speed pump, I could manually switch the valve for the cleaner and set it to high speed - which I'd be okay with. Also would use the high speed for the spa, but use low for normal circulation?

If left on Low, startup would not be a problem as long as it is left sealed, correct? I get that it needs to be on high for priming.

This would also be helpful as I am on a time of use rate plan for my electricity. However, the intelliflow might actually be less money after the local rebates - but then I have to pay for an install:(

2HP Challenger Pumps (2)

Does this mean you have two pumps and is one specifically for the Waterfall?

If so, is the one for the Waterfall ok and doesn't need to be replaced?

Although you could run the waterfall and pool off a single pump, it might be better to stick with two pumps. However, the pool pump could be downsized considerably if the only thing the pump does is filter the pool.

Your right, with a spa, you will probably want to keep the size pump you have now. If you like your current pump's performance, the best thing to do is to match the head curve of your old pump with that of the new pump. The performance should then be similar. Do you know if the Challenger is an up rated or full rated 2 HP?

mas985 said:
Your right, with a spa, you will probably want to keep the size pump you have now. If you like your current pump's performance, the best thing to do is to match the head curve of your old pump with that of the new pump. The performance should then be similar. Do you know if the Challenger is an up rated or full rated 2 HP?

I'm *think* its a full rated based on what I can make out on the motor label. What I'd like to figure out is if its the high flow or high pressure model. They have different curves.

Luckily, however, I took it all apart tonight and a little pebble that was jammed into the impeller was the source of my noise. It really sounded like bearings, not the usual gravel in a can sound that I am used to hearing when its jammed. So, a free fix is always a bonus!

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.