Help please :)

Jun 27, 2011
I am new to the trouble free pool and look forward to hopefully getting my list of problems fixed. I have had a pool for the last three years now but will be the first to admitt it has really been a learn as I go process so I know there is a lot I do not understand so bare with me please! I really haven't had anything but minor problems until this year so here goes...........

The problems, We had a horrible winter thus resulting in the cover having a ton of water on it, parts of it ending up in the pool, centerblocks that we had around it, in the pool, and leaves and weeds from who knows where, all nestled in at the bottom of our pool. (needless to say I am buying a good cover next year that has the cement hooks, because I am not dealing with this again next year!) I opened to the pool to find it almost black, I guess that is what happens when due to the long winter it was closed a lot earlier and stayed closed a lot longer. I have the majority of the stuff cleaned out but still have a long ways to go before I have beautiful crystal clear pool water. In checking the chemicals I am getting closer to getting them right but can't seem to keep my filter going for long enough to really get them moving. My PH and Alk is high and Chlorine is low but I can't seem to get my chemicals moving for more than a day to get the problem fixed.

I have primed the pump who knows how many times and it will run for a little bit and then just drain the water and I have no flow. We have tried to get some pressure built up by putting some of the plugs in the jets and we can get it to run for a little while and then depending on the day it will just randomly stop. It seems to be kicking out a lot of air through the jets but I can't seem to figure out where it is coming from. A few days ago I got it to run almost all day without any problems but the second it shut off I had to prime it a few times before I could get it back going.

My husband thinks that we need to keep at least a jet closed at all times to keep the pressure built up but I wouldn't think they would make it with 3 Jets if you were only suppose to use 1 or 2 of them so I'm not sure about that either.

Somedays I seem to be able to get it to run alright and am able to vaccum for a while and then it just starts spitting out what looks to be what I am sucking back up. I know that we have not changed the sand in the three years we have been here could that be causing that problem? I have tried backflowing numerous times for all sorts of different lengths of times and it just momentarily fixes the problem and then it is right back at messing up my work.

I'm scared to leave the pump running since it just randomly keeps draining and the last thing I want is to burn up the pump. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Also make sure the drain plug on the pump is tight, and that the water level in the pool is at least 1/2 way up the skimmer. You can also check for a suction side leak by slowly pouring water over the pipe joints in the pipe leading to the pump and watching to see if any water is drawn in to the joint. The o-ring on the strainer pot lid on the pump should be well lubricated with pool lube (no Vaseline or grease!)

Dirt returning to the pool while vacuuming usually is a faulty multiport spider gasket on the filter. They are fairly simple to check and replace. The gasket should fit snugly in the valve and not have any tears or stretching.

waste said:
Welcome to TFP!!

In addition to what's been said, the debris you are vacuuming may be so small that it bypasses the sand - if this is the case adding ~1/2 cup of DE (diatomacious earth) would be a good idea.

Thank you waste, never heard of it so I will be sure to pick some up when I'm getting all my goodies. Do you just add this into the pool skimmer on a regular basis?

zea3 said:
Also make sure the drain plug on the pump is tight, and that the water level in the pool is at least 1/2 way up the skimmer. You can also check for a suction side leak by slowly pouring water over the pipe joints in the pipe leading to the pump and watching to see if any water is drawn in to the joint. The o-ring on the strainer pot lid on the pump should be well lubricated with pool lube (no Vaseline or grease!)

Dirt returning to the pool while vacuuming usually is a faulty multiport spider gasket on the filter. They are fairly simple to check and replace. The gasket should fit snugly in the valve and not have any tears or stretching.

Thank you! One of the hoses on the filter is leaking just a little so I'm sure air is getting in there and causing problems, we will seal that up while we have everything tore apart. I will make sure I get some pool lube and it looked like it might be going bad so I am going to replace that O ring also just to be safe.

I'll be sure to check the spider gasket hopefully tomorrow. I'm working on getting all the sand out and replacing it while I'm at it since I'm sure it needs changed by now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everyone. Did everything that was suggested and seems to be a lot better! I still am having to backwash a lot while vaccuming. Would having a lot of stuff on the bottom of my pool still cause me to have to backwash every 5 minutes?

Water is a lot cleaner and we are slowly getting there. Now my big problem is my alkalinity numbers are way high and my PH levels have been fairly steady. I added a bunch of muriatic acid and it is helping slowly drop down the alkalinity but now my PH is dropping. How do I drop the alkalinity by a lot (currently at 180 :() but still keep my PH at a good level?

If you need to speed it along you can drop pH down to the 7.0-7.2 range then aerate with a spa, waterfall, sheer decent, pointing return jets to the surface, or some of the homebrew PVC options people have designed here. That will increase the pH without increasing TA. If you keep adjusting the pH into the correct range your TA will drop over time.

Good luck,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.