Jun 24, 2011
Nj
previous owners did not touch the pool
my first pool ive done alot of reading, and absorbed most of what i could
i opted for SWG

i picked up an aquarite unit
and going to install it

i have an inground 11x30 ish free form pool 5' deep all around

i drained out all but 1' and climbed in there an scrubbed the walls and the floors with a 50/50 mix of bleech and water
as everythign is stained

finished cleaning it today and the firecompany came and filled up the pool for me
started the pump up
pumping away
i added in my salt 5 bags at 40lb each

went out to check on it
still pumping good
a flashlight reviels that i have some very samll red worm looking things
aswell as some clear small bugs that look like " l " about 1/4" of an inch long

i have no clue what this stuff is
anywas im sure once i start generating the clorine will take care of it

my plan is what i would like advice on, but if youve read anything ive done wrong so far let me know

im going to let the pump run over night
in the am befor work i am going to use the pool skimmer to push around the bottom of the pool to agitage that salt that is remaining

i then plan on going to work, with the pump still running

coming home getting a sample of water and running it to the nearest pool supply place
i am going to bring in the paper work with the recomended numbers i should be at
i read this http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

and i am assuming that i need to address 1 item at a time befor i move onto the next correct?

my original setup has a chlorinator, i plan on taking that out and putting the swg in its place, is there any reason why i should not do this?

also i am missing the main skimmer basket
i have the small inline one at the pump
but missing one for the larger basket

are there any model numbers or anytihng listed on the housing?
the lid says speck but thats all
and i cannot seem to find any speck skimmer baskets

thank you
Ryan

Bugs sound like mosquitoe larvae. Not sure if they tolerate salt. Chlorine will kill that. They do not tolerate moving water well so get it moving with filtration.

Skimmer baskets are found in pool supply stores, there are very many sizes and shapes, you may have to guess and return if you are wrong.

Where are you located?

Since you have the pump running you need to get some chlorine in there as soon as possible! If you haven't added any CYA then bump it up to 3ppm chlorine with bleach. Use the Pool Calc to figure out how much.

Does your skimmer look like the one on this website. If so call them and find out where you can buy parts. You need item number 13, part number 2730014300 if thats the one.

Thanks for the tips

i live in NJ

i brought the water to a pool place today to buy the acid for the salt setup

he tested it out
said that i had a fairly high chlorine content already
so hopefully those bugs will be dying off

he said my salt was a little low
so i have more salt
and bought some test stips for salt

and additional chemicals i "need"
a chlorine stabalizer
and calcium chloride

ph was 7.5
the only one i remeber, was a few hours ago
should have writen it all down

anyways talked to him about the strainer
showed him my mounting plate which the house hooks to for the brush
he had never seen one like it befor
so we picked out a basket which he thinks may work
ill have to wait till i get home to see if it does or not

i know
im waiting on the kits arrival

my Fc level shows a 5 (have a very basic pH and Fc Taylor kit)
i still have those small clear "l" shaped things at night i can see them with a flashlight
what should i do about them?

Are mosquitos bad in your area? Those do sound like larvae and they hatch very quickly. Mosquitos won't lay eggs in moving water, so keep your pump going. You can also treat the area with a fogger from home depot or lowes, they come in propane and electric types and are both very effective. I also keep a bug zapper outside the house near the pool because the pool light attracts bugs. The bug zapper's light is more attractive though and they end up getting zapped.

In short, if you treat the source the larvae will stop showing up.

-Tom

Had you already added chlorine?
How quickly did your read the chlorine on your test? You need to read it right away for a more accurate FC reading... let it set for a moment and you will get a reading that is the TC which tells you that you have organics in your pool that the chlorine is working on.

You need to know what your TA is before you add any acid at this point. If it's high, you'll want to bring it down. Read pool school to learn how to do this. SWG's will slowly bring your ph up over time which you'll want to watch, but if your TA is in range it will move even more slowly.

If you get to the pool store before you get your test kit, post your full results... if you get your test kit... post those. People here are great at helping until you get your feet on the ground.

FC
CC
TC
PH
TA
CYA
CH
temp

i cleaned the pool with chlorine as i was in it scrubbing the walls
then the firecomapny filled up the remainder of the pool with 8500 new gallons of water

i put the salt in
i ran the pump
all threw the night
i would say it ran for 12 hours
i took my sample of water
went to the pool store
he thought that i shocked the pool water
thats how much chlorine was in there he said

my kit will be here anyday hopefully
i know i need those numbers
and will post them as soon as possible
been reading the pool stuff over and over, slowly some of it is starting to sink in, there is just so much info out there

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
stupid me
went to test it today
realised i had been using the wrong dropper
5 drops of 1 5 of 2
i only had 2 droppers in there
the one i piced up was 1 so i figured the other was 2
wrong

went inside and found the other bottle next to my water hardness kit

o yea now my fC does not even show up

so turned the swg up to 70%
letting it run and ill check tomorrow

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.