Algea, and Missing PLaster

Jun 27, 2011
We have a 16,500 gallon pool and have been fighting a ever increasing issue with Algea. I will say, I've not fought it as diligently as I should but we have 30 - 40 pits in our plaster on a 25 yr. old pool, Seems that black algae tends to start there no matter what my CYA is or my FC. I do have test kit I bought through this site. My pool is currently drain, and we're looking at dropping some money into a replaster job for the sake of ridding ourselves of the issue.

MY QUESTION, Am I fighting a never ending battle with algea because of the pits and holes in our plaster??

Cartridge Filter, using Bleach and have had CYA in the 30 - 40 Range.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Robert

Welcome to TFP!

It isn't all that difficult to avoid algae as long as the pitting isn't too deep. The main thing is to be consistent about maintaing the FC level and to make sure your returns are well aimed so the water circulates well. That said, black algae is extremely difficult to get rid of once you have it, especially if the plaster surface is uneven, cracked, or pitted. If you do already have black algae the best you might be able to do is to prevent it from spreading.

There are blk dots in the what I would say, 20 or so dollar size pancake holes in our plaster, along with 10 - 12 6" x 6" sized plaster holes. Even with the pool drained. I've cleaned with bleach already.
There a several soft spot areas that the plaster is getting ready to just come apart.

Any issues start in these areas and grow from there.

I guess I'm thinking before I spend the 4K on replaster job, I'm just wanting some confirmation on if this could be some of my root cause for black and green alge issues. It's gotten much worse with the addition of pits and holes in the plaster.
Robert

Well, the pits have certainly given it a good place to hide and grow but keep in mind it is ALWAYS inadequate chlorine that starts the ball rolling. Whatever you decide, chlorine is your first line of defense.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.