Having our first real pool party this weekend.

Jul 23, 2010
Mickleton, NJ
This weekend will be the first real pool party :party: :cheers: . We are expecting a few kids, in swim diapers, older kids and some rowdy adults. :whoot: Should I bump the chlorine levels before or after the party or both? Also, since I'm a little paranoid is it an issue for the kids or adults to push off the sides of the pool when swimming?

Ditto...

and any other important rules should be mentioned prior to pool entry.... a few possibilities....

No "p" in pool before swim... keep it that way.
No diving
Dry off before entering house (if that's important to you).. something we are struggling with, esp w/adults!
No splashing pool owner if trying to lounge on raft.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
anonapersona said:
Richard320 said:
mynewpool said:
How much should it be bumped up?
Go look at the CYA/FC chart and set it up to the high end beforehand.

And insist there's no glass near the pool.

For a SWG, what FC should one bump up to for a pool party?
1300 posts and you still don't know that the target FC is always dependent upon the CYA level??? Tsk, tsk!

20 lashes with a wet noodle! :whip:

With water temps in the high 80's and a CYA of 70 I normally see FC of around 5.5 with a pump run time of 8 hours
Before a pool party I normally run the Aquarite for an additional 8 hour cycle to boost the FC to 6.5 or 7.
I run the pump, filter and SWCG the entire time there are guests in the pool.
After a large number of active guests are gone, I have seen levels as low as 3, but I simply run the Aquarite for an additional 8 hour cycle and by the next afternoon, the FC is back up to the target of 5. Within a couple of days, the water settles into it's normal FC of 5.5. :cool:

The type of party and the type of guests will have a greater impact sometimes than the number of guests.
I have noticed that with 6 or 8 adults lounging in the pool, a decrease in FC is rarely noted; however, with 6 or 8 active teens vigorously swimming, playing volleyball or basketball, diving, jumping, and generally having a good time that the FC can decrease by 2 or 3 ppm within a few hours. :shock:

Your mileage may vary :mrgreen:

PSG

Richard320 said:
For a SWG, what FC should one bump up to for a pool party?
1300 posts and you still don't know that the target FC is always dependent upon the CYA level??? Tsk, tsk!

20 lashes with a wet noodle! :whip:
Ouch, ouch! I've been noodled!

OK, with CYA at 85, SWG goal is 4.0 and normal pool range is 7.0 to 12.0. So if the pool is at 4.0, and a party is planned, how far ought one bump up the FC in anticipation of, say a birthday party of 10 kids?

Is there some FC drop per kid per hour that we can keep in mind?

Anona, still the novice at SWG stuff

With a CYA of 85 the target should be 6 with a minimum of 4.
pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
Bumping it up to 7 or 8 should be fine. It probably will be down to 5 or 6 after the party, but I would be very interested in your observations.

"Is there some FC drop per kid per hour that we can keep in mind?"
Still working on that one, but there seems to be some correlation between the last time the kid had a real BATH :wink:

In the interest of science, please post your before and after pool party results. :cool:

Thanks

PSG

The party was a success. The evening before the party I bumped the FC to 10, we got some rain in the a.m. but it quickly cleared to a gorgeous hot sunny day. I had 17 adults, 3 babies in swim diapers, 7 kids between 3-10 years old. The pool was full of people all day since our yard gets full sun from about 9:30 a.m. until sunset. About 10 adults were about back in the pool for a while after dark. The water was looking seriously cloudy at night. The next morning I tested FC was 5 and I had really poor circulation and cloudy water. Noticed pressure was high and were were almost due for a backwash. First I checked the skimmer basket which I knew had been knocked out of place during the party. I then checked the pump basket which was clogged with dead bugs. We cleaned it out and put it back, circulation got better. Next, we backwashed and circulation improved even more. I bumped FC back to 10 and then after a few hours dropped my hayward cleaner in the pool. As the day went on cloudyness improved and the pool got it's sparkle back.

It was a great time, I was a little paranoid during the party about people just spraying sunblock and jumping right in, kids pushing off the sides, people drinking in the pool (cans) and then late night my rowdy friends started a whirlpool which was very impressive I must say, so much that the ladder was coming unscrewed from the pool and leaning almost sideways when I freaked out and told everyone to cool it. :rant: I tightened that up the next a.m. as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.