Pump Question

msujohn

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 10, 2011
Frisco, Texas
I am in the process of working with a builder on my pool design. It will be a pool only (no spa), but I am building a grotto water fall. The grotto will be roughly 8 feet wide and 3.5 feet off the water. I am building a free form pool roughly 33' x 20'. The builder is telling me that I will only need 1 variable speed Jandy pump vs. having a separate water feature pump? Does this sound correct? They are telling me I could add an additional pump but it will just cost more money and is not really needed. Should I get the additional water pump or not?

The total width will be 8 feet, but I'm thinking after I build up the boulders around it, etc that I will only have about 4 or 5 feet for the waterfall. I'm trying to create a grotto/jump rock that my kids can jump off as well as having some water come off it. Just not sure if I need a separate pump or not.

It very much depends on the width of the waterfall and how you want it to look. Flow rates for waterfalls are in the 5 to 30 GPM per foot of width range, with values around 10-15 GPM/foot being the most common. At 15 GPM/foot, an 8 foot waterfall needs 120 GPM, which will make a separate pump well worth having. But a two foot wide waterfall at 10 GPM/foot, or 20 GPM total, would work just fine on the main pump.

Is it possible to use the water fall pump to also run my polaris cleaner or do I need the separate pump that comes with the cleaner? I've been told my city requires a safety valve for each pump and that cost is $500, so I'm trying to understand my options.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.