New to Pool and got TF-100 results, now what to do first?

hiaig

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 3, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and have been reading and learning a lot about pools and pool chemistry.

I am a total noob when it comes to pool. We just got a lazy L shaped vinyl pool (SWG) installed. I am trying to get the volume info from out pool contractor. In the meantime, my rough calculation says 24,000 gallons.

I had a lot of problem keeping my chlorine level in check and decided to no longer listen to the pool store.

The TF-100 kit arrived and here are my results (I hope I did the tests correctly).

I need help as the numbers are out of whack when comparing to the article on "water balance for SWGs":

FC = 2 ppm
CC = 0
pH = 8.2
TA = 180
CH = 230
CYA = can't get the dot to disappear

What do I need to do first? bring the pH and TA down?

Cheers

Thanks in advance

Re: New to Pool and got TF-100 results, now what to do first

Welcome :wave:

First lower your pH to 7.2.

Add enough CYA to reach 60 and test/adjust after one week.

What is your salt level?

You can use liquid chlorine/bleach to keep FC level until SWG can keep up.

The first thing is to lower the PH down to 7.2 right away. Both PH and TA are high. Lowering PH to 7.2 will start lowering TA. For use with a SWG you will need to continue to work on lowering TA.

With a SWG, the recommended CYA level is between 70 and 80. Unless you already added some CYA in the last week, you should start working on raising CYA up to that range. Remember that it is easy to raise CYA, but difficult to lower it. Because of that it is best to aim for a lower CYA level to start, 50 or 60, work on that, give it a week to stabilize, and then continue adjusting from there.

Butterfly said:
Welcome :wave:

What is your salt level?

You can use liquid chlorine/bleach to keep FC level until SWG can keep up.

My salt level is 3120 ppm. I have been using a lot of liquid chlorine to keep up.

I'm going to go out and get some MA to lower the pH. I added some CYA over 2 weeks ago. Should I add more CYA or give it another week?

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.