What to do with old chemicals?

loop_pea

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 11, 2010
England, UK
I have inherited a cupboard full of chemicals from the previous people who ran the pool. Plus I have some 14% sodium hypochlorite left over from last year's attempt to winterize the pool.

I know that sodium hypochlorite ages quickly. I was told it was good and fresh when I bought it, but that certainly won't be the case now. It's been stored in a shed, where it has been frozen over winter, and now is probably starting to get a little warm. Is it safe to use?

In the cupboard I have three (!) bottles of winter algaecide, some chlorine reducer, and clarifier gel tabs, none of which I have ever used. I'll probably hang onto the chlorine reducer just in case, but I can't see me ever using the clarifier tabs, because it sounds like they make a gungy mess in the sand filter. Is there a safe way to get rid?

Also, will the algaecide be any good by now? It's at least two years old.

Most municipalities have information on what to do with chemicals that people want to discard for various reasons. Have you checked with your city or county to see what options that they might have?

Although the sodium hypochlorite is old and probably not at its full 14% strength anymore, I would imagine that it is still ok to use in the pool. You just won't know the strength now like you did when it was fresh.

The clarifier, I'd probably get rid of. The Algaecide depends on the ingredients. And I'd hang on to the chlorine and the Thiosulphate (CL reducer).

Your local pool store might be a good resource for getting rid of the chems. If they don't take them they will probably know the proper procedure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.