DFR / Desired Flow Rate ? use 4 hours ? gallons / turn over

Jun 26, 2011
If I have ( don't ask why it is a long story ) a Triton II TR140 sand filter with a WhisperFlo 3hp Pump in a pool 13' deep pool (35,000 gallons ) how long do I have to leave it run ? I live in AZ and it is 115 outside, I know that every 10 = 1 hour , but if my math is right I am filtering 32,000 gallons or more every 4 hours. The psi is at 8 and their are a lot of returns, 2 skimmers and a drain so the flow of water is very good, quiet and smooth . Is it possible that I am close to the DFR I need at 4 hours ? 35,000 / 4 x 60 = 145 ? I looked at the pump flow rates and the filter flow rates ..... no idea what they mean . The Triton TR140 filter ( Flow Rate: 141 GPM , Turnover (Flow Rate Gals.for 8 Hours): 67,680 ) . All equipment is new and very big for this pool I feel that I should be able to get away with 4 hours ? I see in other posts that the GPM are not the same for every pool so I'm not sure.

Re: DFR / Desired Flow Rate ? use 4 hours ? gallons / turn o

Welcome to TFP!

That is a large pump! It is probably way more pump than you need, and so uses more electricity than you need to be using.

As a rough estimate, yes four hours to do one turnover is a good guess. The actual flow rate depends on various details of your plumbing. mas985 is good at figuring out that kind of thing, perhaps he will stop by. But in the mean time, four hours to do one turnover is a good place to start.

Re: DFR / Desired Flow Rate ? use 4 hours ? gallons / turn o

I never thought of the electricity. I haven't seen a bill. It says energy efficient / higher performance so I was hopping ......but I guess I'm in for a shock. Mabey 4 hours with a 3hp pump is the same as 8 hours with a 1 1/2 hp pump (cost of electricity)?

The feel of the water with borax

I just started using the BBB method and when I put the Borax in the water has a soft smooth feel to it. It also has a very faint sent. Best water I have ever been in. I am enjoying the switch a lot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.