Really old pool and don't know much about it- need help

Jun 26, 2011
We moved into this house about 5-6 years ago and I have kept the pool running through blind luck :) It is an inground fiberglass pool that was put in back in the 70's. Holds about 14K gallons and has a DE filter. The only visible piping is by the pump and filter and the only visible valve is the back flush valve where I flush out the filter. Trying to get it up and running after fighting with Home Warranty company and pool repair company to fix my filter which wouldn't hold DE anymore. Got that fixed and almost have pool clean but for some reason it has started sucking water from the drain instead of through the skimmer basket. I have no idea how it happened or how to fix it. Like I said the only visible valve on the entire system is the backflush valve. Any ideas at all??
I hate the dang pool because i have to clean it but the kid loves it so I have to get it working right again.

Pull out a skimmer basket and look for a diverter in the bottom of the skimmer. Someone may have moved the flap to draw from drain. Could look like one of these:
lovingHDTV-SkimmerDiverter.jpg

joenj-SkimmerDrainDiverter.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.