WPB, Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I been reading about these cleaners, but cannot decide on which to get.

So far I have seen that the Polaris 9300 has quite a few followers. I also have a friend that has the Nitro wall climber and says its not too bad, like this one:

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Equip...und-Pools/Nitro-Climber-Robotic-Pool-Cleaner/

My pool has an 8'x24' sun shelf that is only 6" deep, wonder if the robots will clean that?

What are your recommendations? Needs to have a 60 ft cord.

Thanks,

J

Melt In The Sun said:
I doubt any cleaner will clean your shelf...not sure though. From what I've learned around here, all the robots have their followers, but none are clearly better or worse than any other.

not true, some are clearly better than others. ones that turn on the bottom of the pool are worlds better than ones that can't. if it can't turn on the bottom, once it gets a little clogged, it won't be able to climb the walls and will get stuck in the same spot.

blue diamond for the price is probably best. Polaris bot is sexy and filter is cool but can only clean in one direction due to the patents owned by the makers of blue diamond and cobia.

I got the Dolphin Dynamic with remote control from Costco for about $1000 ... although they only offer it seasonally (not during the winter I saw). Nice because you can take control of it and drive it around in case it misses anything. I have read that the Maytronics support and getting parts can be a little problematic, but I had a bad power supply and had no problem getting it replaced for free. Does a great job picking up sand and dirt you did not realize was there. A little bit of work to clean the bags, but at least all the stuff is not going into my filter and you can buy disposable bags if you want.

And of course if you do not like it, Costco is great about returns. I actually bought the TurboJet(?) that used water propulsion to move around from Costco too, but found that with a deep end ... it would quickly get stuck down there as the filter filled and propulsion was lost. Probably would be a nice unit for flat pools as it is very simple with few parts. No question when I returned it.

jblauert said:
I got the Dolphin Dynamic with remote control from Costco for about $1000 ... although they only offer it seasonally (not during the winter I saw). Nice because you can take control of it and drive it around in case it misses anything. I have read that the Maytronics support and getting parts can be a little problematic, but I had a bad power supply and had no problem getting it replaced for free. Does a great job picking up sand and dirt you did not realize was there. A little bit of work to clean the bags, but at least all the stuff is not going into my filter and you can buy disposable bags if you want.

And of course if you do not like it, Costco is great about returns. I actually bought the TurboJet(?) that used water propulsion to move around from Costco too, but found that with a deep end ... it would quickly get stuck down there as the filter filled and propulsion was lost. Probably would be a nice unit for flat pools as it is very simple with few parts. No question when I returned it.

I don't know how long the warranty is, but when the motors go on that, you can kiss it good bye, thats the problem with the remote controlled ones. not even anywhere near cost efficient to fix when it breaks (not IF, but when)

I could have got a sweet dolphin remote for a little over 500 dollars refurbed, but no warranty means when it breaks, it will cost more than that to fix. of course the dolphin remotes are the only ones worth buying from dolphin because they can change direction on the floor.

robl45 said:
jblauert said:

I don't know how long the warranty is, but when the motors go on that, you can kiss it good bye, thats the problem with the remote controlled ones. not even anywhere near cost efficient to fix when it breaks (not IF, but when)

I could have got a sweet dolphin remote for a little over 500 dollars refurbed, but no warranty means when it breaks, it will cost more than that to fix. of course the dolphin remotes are the only ones worth buying from dolphin because they can change direction on the floor.

I completely agree about the ones that change directions on the floor. I have a T2. I love it but the last few weeks I have a crazy problem where it wont climb the walls anymore. It is completely inexplicable. I changed the belts, and all other parts that wear out. The motor seems to be running great. But it wont climb a 90 degree wall even when the pool is 88 degrees and spotless. I think its the drive motor which would cost $500 to replace!
Anyway thats not that big of a deal... I dont care if it climbs the walls. I would still deal with it the rest of this season and then fix it after the season is over... But the Dang thing mainly turns at the water line. So it takes 5 times longer to clean the pool now. It still works but instead of 1 to 2 hours, its 7 to 8 hours to clean the pool... :hammer:

robl45 said:
jblauert said:

BTW, you seem to know a lot about the robots. Im thinking of buying a new one for next year because as much as I love the T2, there always seems to be a problem with it. I learned enough now to change the tracks, belts, etc... But those motors are Crud and when they go its ridiculously expensive.

So if I get a new one next year, is there something that works well that wont cost and arm and a leg to get repaired?

robl45 said:

Yeah, that is pretty much what I learned after the fact ... repairs out of warranty are too expensive. I thought I did read that the Aquabot line was much easier and cheaper to get repaired (even DIY).

Looking online now it almost looks like the Maytronics robots are now being branded by Hayward and Dirt Devil ... they look very similar, but hard to be sure.

Thanks for all the replies, I was just about to order the 9300 when I decided to check this thread again.

Polaris bot is sexy and filter is cool but can only clean in one direction due to the patents owned by the makers of blue diamond and cobia.

Can you explain this, what do you mean by clean in one direction???

Thanks,

J

sharpie101 said:
Thanks for all the replies, I was just about to order the 9300 when I decided to check this thread again.

Polaris bot is sexy and filter is cool but can only clean in one direction due to the patents owned by the makers of blue diamond and cobia.

Thanks,

J

dont know the specifics, but I was told by the patent holder that is the case, will only clean in one direction.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
they all break. no getting around that unfortunately, i been through 3 and countless motors. I would probably go blue diamond as you get a 4 year warranty. so at least it lasts for 4 years. although my blue diamond remote as in the shop about 6 times in 2 years, when I got it, i believe warranty period was 2 years.

the smart pool ones also look decent although they are made in china instead of israel so they are cheap. but at least you can buy the motors and pop them in yourself if needed. But how long will those parts be around?? that is the question.

the problem is the non remotes pulse to change direction on the floor, which basically means they hop and do wheelies while going in semi circle, when it works, it works, but often it doesn't work that well. thats why the remote bots are so great. but they cost an arm and a leg to fix and they will break often, every part is twice as much including the cable etc. the designer told me not to bother witha remote because they are more hassle than they are worth. And we know, we've fixed the thing at least 6 times.

mitch08 said:
robl45 said:
jblauert said:

BTW, you seem to know a lot about the robots. Im thinking of buying a new one for next year because as much as I love the T2, there always seems to be a problem with it. I learned enough now to change the tracks, belts, etc... But those motors are **** and when they go its ridiculously expensive.

So if I get a new one next year, is there something that works well that wont cost and arm and a leg to get repaired?

robl45 said:
sharpie101 said:

Thanks,

J

dont know the specifics, but I was told by the patent holder that is the case, will only clean in one direction.

When the 9300 moves forward it vacuums, when it reverses it doesn't. Just spins the rollers.

I have a Dolphin Dynamic, this is it's sixth year and it is still working perfectly. Having a robotic cleaner last that long isn't unusual, nor is having one break sooner than six years. None of the available brands are perfect, but all of them are significantly more reliable on average than has been implied above. That doesn't mean you won't be one of the unlucky ones and have a cleaner that breaks quickly. That isn't common, but it does happen. Don't expect a robotic cleaner to last the life of the pool, but they will last several years on average.

The Blue Diamond consistently gets the best reviews of all of the robotic cleaners.

JasonLion said:
I have a Dolphin Dynamic, this is it's sixth year and it is still working perfectly. Having a robotic cleaner last that long isn't unusual, nor is having one break sooner than six years. None of the available brands are perfect, but all of them are significantly more reliable on average than has been implied above. That doesn't mean you won't be one of the unlucky ones and have a cleaner that breaks quickly. That isn't common, but it does happen. Don't expect a robotic cleaner to last the life of the pool, but they will last several years on average.

The Blue Diamond consistently gets the best reviews of all of the robotic cleaners.

you are lucky, read some of the reviews on the dolphin on amazon, every review talks about the motors going out. mine never broke either. but the fact that it needed to climb the wall to change direction was a deal breaker in my pool.

my blue diamond broke constantly. my robot that I beta tested also broke fairly regularly. this was straight from the guys that designed it. what motors do you think were in it? blue diamond and the one I tested they all use the same stuff. bravo, viva, etc, all the same. most of the robots all use the same components.

After almost a year, I thought I update this thread.

I ended up buying the Polaris 9300XI. Here is my take on it:

Pros:
- Works as advertised and cleans the pool very well.
- The bag is extremely easy to clean (my 5 year old does it most of the times!)
- The caddy is extremely helpfull in wheeling it out to the pool.
- If I drop it in the Spa (7'x7') it will clean the bottom but not the seat bottoms, good as I wasnt even expecting it would work there.

Cons:
- Does not work on the tanning shelf
- I am always afraid it will get stolen, so I have to use it while I am at home :x

If I do it again, I would order the one without the remote control. I have only used the remote once in the spa ... thats it.

I bought it through http://www.poolsupplyworld.com and received it within 3 days, very happy with their service as I have since purchased a few other things from them.

J

I agree the Polaris 9300 has worked well for me and the filter is extremely easy to clean. The only downside I have seen to this robot compared to others, ie Tigershark is the mircron rating on the filter is not quite as good. Thus, some smaller particles will pass through. Overall very happy with the product.

I have a dolphin with a remote and find the remote worthless, except that it is the only way to select which program the dolphin will run -- e.g. slow extensive clean of floor, floor + tile, just tile, etc....although 90% of time I just have it on the standard program. So, doing without a remote I think is fine....a good robot is fast enough that it will cover most of the floor quickly enough that pointing it at a specific location just isn't needed.

I have a older dolphin without a remote and a newer one with the remote that I am using now. I don't use the remote often, but it is nice if I'm expecting company and there are just a few spots of dirt in the pool that need to be cleaned.

The motor went out on my older dolphin but it was within the warrant period so the repairs were free, but it cost quite a bit to ship it to the repair facility from where I live. I have gotten pretty lazy and I can't imagine cleaning my pool now without a robot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.