Loud Whisperflo

divein

Jun 5, 2011
I recently installed a new Whisperflo wfe-3 energy efficient 3/4 hp pool pump. Everything seems to be working great and it seems to move a lot more water than my old 1 HP. My only complaint is the noise it makes. It's not a squeel type noise like a bad motor or bearing, but it just seems louder than I would expect. I can hear it a good 50-75 ft. away. Perhaps I'm being more picky and more flow will mean more noise. In hindsight I probably could have moved down to a 1/2 HP or gone with a two-speed. Filter is a 90 sq. ft. hayward cartridge @ 10 psi. Any thoughts?

Is your filter pressure higher than what it was with the old pump? Does the noise sound more like rushing water? Because you may be moving more water, that extra movement causes noise which could be what you are hearing.

Also, are you seeing any air in the pump basket? Higher flow rates can also mean more suction which can lead to drawing in air. Air transversing through the pump can also cause noise.

What model pump did you have before?

Thanks for your input. I think a lot of what I'm hearing is water like you mentioned. The old pump was a 1 hp dynaglass installed about 19 years ago and new motor from about 6 years ago. I replaced the valves as well and now I have absolutely no air coming in like I used to. The filter is newer and bigger than the old one so I can't realistically compare that part of it. I should probably be thrilled as I'm using 25% less power (5.6 amps vs. 7.6) and moving a ton more water, which you can clearly see on the surface. I'm sure I can cut back a bit on the running time as well. This seems like a very strong 3/4 hp. and I probably could easily gone down even more to a 1/2 hp. All in all I'm happy, it just seems a lot louder than I would have expected.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.