first test results.

GEM08

Jun 25, 2011
dallas, tx
I drained the pool last year due to high CYA. 12 months later I am having the same problems and I was recommended to drain the pool again.
The test results are:
FAC 0
TAC 0
CH 250
CYA 150
TA 100
PH 7.6
TDS 2200
I observed green algae and I treated with green to clear, following the instructions from the pool store with 12 hour shock. I have no seen any change in the cloudy-green water. pump has been running all day.
I find hard to believe that the pool has to be drained every year according to he pool-store manager...
Need help thanks

Welcome to the forum :wave:

With a CYA of 150 (assuming this is correct), you need to replace about half your water and stop using stabilized chlorine products! :)
Then, you should not have to replace your water again - because of too high CYA.

Until you get that CYA level down, shocking your pool will be almost impossible.

How did you get these test results?

[s:32do8wb7]Where are you located?[/s:32do8wb7]

What have you been using to chlorinate your pool?

See Pool School, white button, top right.

The best thing to put you in control of your pool is a good test kit.
I recomend the TF100, link in my sig.

We're glad you found TFP and we will get you off this drain/refill merrry-go-round!

Thanks a lot.
I got the water results from "Leslies". I will get the test kit right a way...

I replaced about 3/4 of the pool's water and it is filling up as we speak. It will be ready tomorrow (I hope)...

I have been using leslies 3" chloring tablets (3 of them in the floater) and leslies Power Powder Pro for weekly shock. I cannot read in the label any stabilizers, could you advise if these two products have stabilizers so I do not use them again?

In the past 12 months I also used couple Hth products, algae and clarifier (bought at walmart). are these product also causing problems?

An important note, I have been advise that the pool system is old (sti-rite) and it does not have a direct connection to the sewer line, therefore, the only way to lose water is by backsplash and evaporation, (well also using a pump and a pretty long hose...) according to the pool store's manager I have to take water from the pool regulary to avoid a high CYA. (?)...

I appreciate very much your help.

The 3" tablets contain stabilizer/CYA. Power Powder Pro contains calcium.

We don't generally recommend using algaecide or clarifier. They are almost never needed or useful and occasionally have bad side effects.

When you order the test kit, I suggest you also order the magnetic stirrer. I'll let others tell you how much it helps with testing. :goodjob:

As Jason said, tabs contain CYA and PPP contains calcium. For long term use, you want to use liquid chlorine/bleach (plain 6% household bleach) to chlorinate your pool.

according to the pool store's manager I have to take water from the pool regulary to avoid a high CYA. (?)...
Well, he is incorrect. The only way CYA will get in your water is if it is added. If you don't add it, or rather, don't add too much, then.....problem solved! :-D
We're gonna' show you how to do that.

Once your pool is full, post another set of test results.

Does your water contain metals? If you have had to add sequesterants in the past, you will probably need to again.

You are going to need some CYA/Conditioner/Stabilizer, about 12 or 13 pounds. Only add enough to get your CYA level to about 30 for now. Then add enough liquid chlorine/bleach to reach about 3 ppm FC. You can get this stuff at WallyWorld.

Get familiar with the Pool Calculator, link in my sig. It will calculate all your doses for you. :)

Post back any questions. Lots of folks around here to help!

OK, Here we go.
Pool is full and the results are as follows
FAC 0 (low)
TAC 0 (low)
CH 180 (OK)
CYA 20 (low)
TA 110 (OK)
pH 7.7 (OK)
TDS 400 (OK)
Pho 100 (OK)
so... water looks cloudy(green) any advise where to start?
thank a lot

GEM08 said:
OK, Here we go.
Pool is full and the results are as follows
FAC 0 (low)
TAC 0 (low)
CH 180 (OK)
CYA 20 (low)
TA 110 (OK)
pH 7.7 (OK)
TDS 400 (OK)
Pho 100 (OK)
so... water looks cloudy(green) any advise where to start?
thank a lot
Now those look much better! :)

Cloudy green water and zero FC means you need to shock your pool. Use the PoolCalculator.com to get your doses. Your pool is large, 30K gals. So, with a CYA of 20, your shock level is about 10 and to get your pool from zero FC to 10 will take about 5 gallons of 6% bleach. You should start the shock process by adding that tonight to do the most good right away.

Did you order your test kit? When will you receive it?

Also, add enough CYA (sock method) to get to about 30 for now. Once shocking is done, we'll increase that for maintenance. Post back any questions. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.