Where to begin after new liner?

Jul 2, 2009
NE, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We have used the BBB method for at least 2 years but I'm not real sure where to begin from here... The pool guy shocked the pool, added algecide and super blue yesterday. I checked the numbers this morning and of course everything is low...

CF 0
pH 6.5
TA 40
CYA 0

With tomorrow being Sunday, the pool stores are closed so I can't buy any stablizer. The water is clear but had a heavy bather load today.

Do I shock the pool or just add enough bleach to keep at a decent level until i can get stablizer... Also at what point should I address the pH?

You can get stabilizer at Walmart or Lowe's. Or you can chlorinate with dichlor to raise the CYA level too.

You probably want to start nudging your pH upward too.

First, I suggest you add enough baking soda to get your TA to 50.

Then, ease your pH up to the low 7's using Borax.

Add bleach daily to maintain about 2 ppm FC and increase/adjust after you add CYA.

Unless you have a reason (cloudy water, excess CC, algae, etc) then you do not have to shock.

After you get the above adjusted and FC added, retest. :)

How does the water look?

Thanks for the info on buying stabilizer at Walmart, Lowes, etc. I'll definitely check that out.
Ok... I added 4 lbs of baking soda last night. The pool calculator said it would take 16 lbs to get TA 80, and 8 lbs to get pH for 6.5 to 7.2, so I thought 4 lbs would be a safe amount... Also bc of the big bather load yesterday and the fact that the water tested 0 for FC, I added bleach to bring FC to 10. (should be shock level according to pool calculator with no cya)

This mornings readings
FC 7.8
pH 7.8
TA 40

Did my pH jump that much bc there's no stabilizer? Also, why didn't my TA change?

4 lbs of baking soda will have raised the TA by about 10. The TA test is +-10, so it could easily miss a small change like that.

When TA is too low the PH can swing around wildly, which appears to be what you are seeing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.