Pool dream going down in wet soil??

May 13, 2009
Mn
Ok, so on advice of everyone here (yes, ultimately it was my decision) I started to remove the sprinkler head and line. I tried not to disturb too much area to prevent settling later on. I ran into one HUGE problem. As soon as I found the sprinkler head and had a hole dug, ground water started pouring into the hole. I figured it was no big deal, but as I trenced further the water just kept filling in making removal of this line impossible.

I am concerned because the ground is so wet. As soon as they start to dig to level the ground they are going to have the same problem. How can we build a pool on this mushy clay soil? Has anyone in a northern climate ever done this?

I'm worried to that the line I pulled out is going to cause a crater in the pool. We packed it down the best we can, but the hole was filled with water. Not like we could really tamp it.

I just feel like my dream pool is disappearing. The ground is just too wet to imagine supporting all the weight of a pool.

Any ideas?

Don't loose the dream! Remember, this is is an unseasonably high amount of rain this year in our area. It may make sense to wait until later this summer to excavate, though in the past, I have done it with a garbage pump keeping my hole dry. My pool, which I put in last fall, has had it's sides a few inches under standing water a half dozen times this spring. Seems fine now. I have a clay loam so it is basically mushy when wet. I basically live on a wetland.

Have you dug into your ground when it has not been a wet season? Might have been dry then?

Too late to leave the old line in place and reroute the irrigation line around the pool site. Might be a better plan to begin amending the soil foundation for a late season pool?

Wet years will happen after your pool is installed, as well as dry ones. You can make the adjustments now at the to deal with the wet situation you are dealing with, without the complication of having the pool in the way. Probably best to listen to folks familiar with your area and soil.

Thanks for the support. Linen, you are right, it is like a rock the years it is dry. Thanks for the advice to ask them to hold off until later this summer. We were so anxious to get swimming. It is probably for the best as my husband is out of town and I'm trying to coordinate all this on my own - pulling up sprinklers, marking the pool location, cutting sod, and directing the installers. I'm not a handy gal in anyway so this is a bit overwhelming for me.

I think my sprinkler patch up will be ok since it is clay. We plopped all the clay back in the hole and I let the kids jump up and down on it. The water was shooting everywhere and with the rain we're supposed to get, I think it will "melt" back into place. Just what we need too. More wet!

Guess I'll have to get the kiddie pool out and fill'er up!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.