Vinyl liner feels like sandpaper

Jun 25, 2011
Split from this topic. Please start your own topic.

Hello all! I'm having the same problem with a vinyl liner that feels like sandpaper (and I also notice that my hands feel very slick). The liner was smooth about a week ago. I have had trouble lowering the pH, but my calcium appears to be LOW, and I have no idea why I would get calcium scaling with low calcium levels.

I have an in-ground 30,000 gal. chlorine pool, it's a very clear blue, although I have to add chlorine every couple days to keep it up. I had the water tested today:
FC: 0.7
TA: 227
pH: 8.2
CH: 31
CYA: 6

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

-- Rob

It sure sounds like calcium scaling (which you already know). Lets assume for a moment your numbers are correct; pool store testing is notoriously untrustworthy. With pH @ 8.2 and TA @ 227, you don't need much calcium to start scaling. 8.2 is as high as most pH tests go, so it could actually be higher than that. CH of 31 is exceptionally low; that is very unlikely to be correct.

We recommend that everyone have their own complete drop based test kit (such as the TF-100, see the link in my sig). It's a bit pricey, but a lot cheaper in the long run than buying stuff you don't need at the pool store!

Welcome to TFP, by the way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.