Test and add and test and add... every half an hour

Water_man

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2008
Brookline, MA
Split off of this topic. JasonLion

Jason,
First thank you for this comprehensive post. I’m sure it has helped a lot of us.
I have a couple of questions:
You mentioned testing after half an hour. At an average flow of 50 gpm
only 1500 gal of water circulate through the pump. What is the value of the measurement if we know for sure that the pool water hasn't been fully circulated?

You suggest to add each time to shock level, and you also mentioned to "hit hard".
If we see that this is not just a bloom, but a swamp, isn't it better to start hard indeed? What should be the starting point?

Re: Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

How much water has passed through the pump is not a good measure of how throughly mixed the pool water is. How quickly the water mixes is a function of how good your circulation pattern is, not of how much water the pump has pumped. Water mixing is a process that goes on throughout the pool because of the water movement provided by the pump. Most pools will be well mixed in half an hour, even a pool with particularly bad circulation will be as throughly mixed as it is going to get within an hour.

There is a limit to how high you can safely take the FC level, even for very short periods. It is better to add chlorine frequently, than to add lots and lots of chlorine all at once. If you are feeling particularly aggressive, add enough chlorine to get to mustard algae shock level, instead of regular shock level.

Thank you for the reply.
What is a leaf net? I read in more than one place an advice to clear the bottom of debris and leaves using a leaf net. My search showed that this is a cover placed on the top...

Leaf rake:
Casey-LeafRake.jpg

The visual encyclopedia is a good resource for looking up this kind of thing.

OK, once my pH and CYA stabilized (7.2 and 45) I added liquid chlorine targeting 24 as you suggested.

After half an hour FC was 20. I added enough chlorine for FC to reach the target. Half an hour later FC was 22 and CC just 2. At this stage I saw a faint white cloud submerged in the green water, so the water was a combination of faint white and green.
Also I noticed that once I started shocking, rotten leaves came up to the surface. They haven't been there from the time the pool was opened until now.
I wonder why the expected consumption of FC by the algae is so low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.