New TF TEST KIT, what do you think of my numbers

Oct 25, 2007
Ok so i feel much better now that i have my new test kit and dont have to run to leslies to have it tested, what do you guys think,
FC-13
CC-0
TC-13
PH-7.5
TA-80
CH-80
CYA-30

I know the calcium hardness needs to come up to about 240 but what do i add, i went to wal mart and lowes and neither had anything for raising the calcium hardness. Also i have a swg system but have yet to put the salt in because its a new pool, and im suppose to wait 28days (wet edge) so i have been using ultra bleach for my chlorine. I had a severe prob with the well water at one point making my water super brown but its starting to clear up really good, i can almost see the drains in the deep end. Thanks for all your input and thank god for this forum and the test kit :)

edit - moved by divnkd101

tillys26 said:
Ok so i feel much better now that i have my new test kit and dont have to run to leslies to have it tested, what do you guys think,
FC-13
CC-0
TC-13
PH-7.5
TA-80
CH-80
CYA-30

I know the calcium hardness needs to come up to about 240 but what do i add, i went to wal mart and lowes and neither had anything for raising the calcium hardness. Also i have a swg system but have yet to put the salt in because its a new pool, and im suppose to wait 28days (wet edge) so i have been using ultra bleach for my chlorine. I had a severe prob with the well water at one point making my water super brown but its starting to clear up really good, i can almost see the drains in the deep end. Thanks for all your input and thank god for this forum and the test kit :)

Tilly, you weren't looking in the right place at 'Wallyworld" or Lowes , what you want is calcium chloride, which is also sold as 'ice melter'. If it's ~ 77% 6 lbs will raise 10,000 gal ~ 50ppm. I've followed your other post, but had nothing to add to the excellent advice given - I hope this helps :!:

"ICE MELTER " ? do you mean the stuff you put in your car windshield wiper ? the de icer stuff ? Wow if thats it who comes up with figuring this stuff out, pure genius i swear lol . If thats what it is then let me know and ill run to wally world tonight and get me some :) Thanks again, ill post some pics tonight hopefully of the progress of the pool

I'd stay well below your target if you plan to add the calcium. The new plaster will increase the CH over the next few months. Since I filled my pool in August, my CH has gone from about 110 to 170. It may have been lower than 110 when it was first filled, since I didn't start testing CH for a few weeks after the fill. That 170 is a bit old as well.

tillys26 said:
"ICE MELTER " ? do you mean the stuff you put in your car windshield wiper ? the de icer stuff ? Wow if thats it who comes up with figuring this stuff out, pure genius i swear lol . If thats what it is then let me know and ill run to wally world tonight and get me some :) Thanks again, ill post some pics tonight hopefully of the progress of the pool
NOT THE STUFF YOU PUT IN THE CAR WINDSHIELD WIPER!!!!!!!

You want the stuff sold in 50 lb bags for melting ice on sidewalks.....be sure it is calcium chloride and NOT a mix or salt! It comes in both flake and pellet form. The flake is most commonly used in pools and is usually 74% to 77% (the rest is water in the flakes). The pellets are stronger since they don't have as much water chemically bound in them and it is usally 94%. A common brand name for the flake is DowFlake and the pellets Pelledow, both made by Dow Chemical. The calcium hardness increasers sold for pools are the same thing but just repackaged and they cost a lot more. I know that Home Depot, Ace Hardware, and Lowes all carry cacium hardness increaser in the pool section and in parts of the country that need sidewalk de icers also carry the bags of the stuff in the winter. The Ace I work at carries the 50 lb bags of de icer in the pool dept. since we don't get ice on the sidewalks here in Florida (along with the smaller sized and more expensive calcium chloride from HTH, Proteam, and O-Ace-Sis packaged for pool use). We actually get the 50 lb bags from one of our pool supply distributors!

crabboy said:
I'd stay well below your target if you plan to add the calcium. The new plaster will increase the CH over the next few months. Since I filled my pool in August, my CH has gone from about 110 to 170. It may have been lower than 110 when it was first filled, since I didn't start testing CH for a few weeks after the fill. That 170 is a bit old as well.

Ditto,
My CH was really low at startup but I only added about half the recommended calcium and over the last few weeks it has risen to about 400 anyways. Gotta be related to the new plaster.

dlsdo, it tends to happen with new plaster - you seem to know what's going on -- if you need any advice, you know where to get it :goodjob:

Evan, good to 'see' you again!! :!: We haven't 'shared' a thread in a while :( I hope you're well and that your 'schooling' is good and all your trustees are doing well! The water testing is probably down, but you've got the school to help keep you busy-- I'm about to get laid off for the winter :-D :x :roll:

Happy Thanksgiving to all :!: I'll certainly say a thankful prayer for having this site to visit :whoot:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.