Intelliflo 4x160 stopped responding

skiddz

Jun 25, 2011
I've been looking for literally weeks for a solution to this problem and my frustration with Pentair in general is growing...

I've got an EasyTouch panel talking to an IntelliFlo 4x160 pump.. Well, it *was* talking to the pump. The pump stopped responding to the panel about 5 weeks ago and I've been having to turn it on and off manually every day.

I've spoken with Pentair support several times and gone through both the panel and the pump config to try and figure out what's wrong. Pump driver has been reset and manually set to channel 1. Pump is wired directly to the breaker and is powered until the breaker is turned off. I know the pump won't talk to the panel until it's been assigned to a circuit, but was wondering if the circuit info could have been "scrambled" and maybe I need to nuke my panel config and redo it?

RS485 cable has continuity from the panel to the pump, pins in the pump connector are clean and corrosion free and the connectors in the socket appear to be clean as well. For giggles, I restripped the panel end and landed them back on their terminals - still no joy.

Everything seems to point to the drive on the pump but even Pentair is saying, "install a new pump and see if that fixes it." Surely these things are meant to last more than 4 years.... I don't feel like just shotgunning parts into the system in the hopes it will rectify the problem especially a $900 pump that *might* fix the problem.

Poking around the 'net for the past few weeks has told me there are a lot of drive failures on these pumps, Pentair doesn't offer any repairs on them and you're looking at $600+ for the part - IF you can find one. With all these failures, is anyone offering repairs to the drive? Anyone ever repaired one themselves? I'm handy with a soldering iron and a meter and wouldn't be averse to giving it a go if I could get pointed in the right direction...

A quick Google search lists a bunch of drive failures pages and the same frustration I'm having with Pentair in getting parts/info to rectify the situation...

Again, the drive will run the motor just fine, I have to turn it on and off manually as it won't "talk" to the EasyTouch panel.

We have had two of those this week, one was fixed by reprogramming the EasyTouch, the other appears to be a hardware problem in the communications circuit. It is certainly worth ruling out the programming error before getting involved in the much more complex hardware fix.

As soon as the kids get out of the pool (summer party) I'll nuke the config and start over. Hopefully that will rectify the problem.

At this point, I'd be happy with just knowing for sure what the problem is with something more than "try ....."

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.