PatM

In The Industry
Jun 25, 2011
Hi all,

I just stumbled across this site while googling ColorQs and fell in love! I've looked for a good, non-commercial, pool operators site for a few years now and somehow missed this one.

Anyway, I'm a pool maintainer working for a municiple recreation department. I started on pools back in 1993 as a night maintenance guy knowing absolutely nothing. I've taken the Lowery Level I pool chemistry course but no pool operators courses. Everything I know I've either figured out myself or have picked up by osmosis from vendors and other operators. My strength is in chemical automation though I'm doing quite well in all areas of pool operation and maintenance.

Many years ago I decided I needed to know more about how automated chemical controllers work since I had 11 pools and constant battles with the chemistry controllers in every one of them. To this end I learned electronics and built my own controller from scratch - circuit board, chips, programming, everything. To say that helped is a gross understatement! The controllers I used to curse every single day are now my best tools.

I've also got experience with Triogen Ozone systems (1990s vintage), and Hanovia ultra-violet treatment (the $20,000 multi-kilowatt systems, not the little UVs that are really ozone generators that the mother in law has on her hot tub).

I have a 16x32 manually run home pool and I ocassionally check out the mother in law's hot tub. Usually to replace broken parts and make sure they've been keep up their langlier index and stabalizer.

I regularly use Taylor slide comparator kits and I've got some taylor titration kits for when I need that exact value. I'm currently trialing Lamotte's ColorQ (not going well at all) and I've also used the little test strips for quick tests.

The controllers I've used at the old, old Stranco analog models (circa 1980s), Stranco/US Filter System 3 and 4, Acutrol AK100, and Neptune Systems Apex (Actually an aquarium controller that's far cheaper and far more capable than any commercial controller I've used). I also use a standard building controls system (Walker) with 4-20mA pH and ORP transmitters to control pools - we just program it to do what we want.

These days I'm a Stationary Equipment Service Worker but I'm assigned to taking care of all the pools in two municipalities. I do mostly mechanical (planned maintenance and breakdowns) but also training of the operators and other maintenance people.

Before this occupation I sold computers for a couple of years and before that I was a Marine Engineer in the Canadian Navy for eight years.

Hope to be able to help some folks on the boards!