How to winter DE filter?

May 26, 2007
Hi,
What's the proper wy to winter my DE filter? My idea was to backwash and clean the grids and then store the grids inside and leave the housing outside or should I bring it all inside? Any ideas?
Thanks,
Joe

Joe, you've got the right idea :goodjob: Backwashing will get most of the DE out and make it easier to lift the grids out. Then rinse them with a garden hose, the better the pressure, the easer it is to clean the rest of the DE off. After you hose them, check how well they are draining - the water should drain out quickly, if there's a couple of inches of water still in them after you hose them and it's not draining quickly they need some chemical cleaning.(if you need to know about the chemical cleaning, just ask :) )

As for bringing in the tank, it's your choice - I personally prefer to see any equipment that can be readily brought in come inside out of the elements. It probably doesn't make 2 bits of difference but I feel that reducing the exposure to UV and rain/ snow will help prolong their life.

Hope this helps and that you have a great winter and that we'll see you back here next spring :!: If you have any other winterizing questions, just ask and someone will answer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.