CYA Confused

jck

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2010
I cant seem to get my CYA up.. Its been 14 for 2 weeks.. It did rain a small amount . But seems strange. Have added 8 lbs of CYA stuff in 2 weeks an it wont come up. I got it from the pool store. Poured it in the basket as they told me to do, What am i missing..

maxepr1 said:
Who is doing your testing? And what kind of test kit are they using?

had it tested at the pool store one time. Im doing the testing with the kit I got here. TF100. Even got new regents to make sure my old one wasnt an issuse.

duraleigh said:
Did you happen to backwash after you poured the CYA into the skimmer?

What did the pool store get when they tested?

They said 14 havnt backwashed it in 2 weeks did it today. First time.

Here is my numbers for my night time test.
fc 2
cc .5 barely
TC 2.5
PH 7.5
TA 130
CYA Im guessing still 14 I can still see dot a 20 an top of tube. A bit cloudy but dot still there..

Has it been at least a week since your last CYA addition? If not, wait till it has been a full week since the last addition. Assuming it has been a week, 8 lbs of CYA/conditioner/stabilizer should have raised CYA to 37, so it sounds like a little more than half of your CYA vanished somewhere along the line. It is worth double checking the packaging, if you still have it, to make sure it was 95+% cyanuric acid. I've heard of 50% cyanuric acid being sold some places.

JasonLion said:
Has it been at least a week since your last CYA addition? If not, wait till it has been a full week since the last addition. Assuming it has been a week, 8 lbs of CYA/conditioner/stabilizer should have raised CYA to 37, so it sounds like a little more than half of your CYA vanished somewhere along the line. It is worth double checking the packaging, if you still have it, to make sure it was 95+% cyanuric acid. I've heard of 50% cyanuric acid being sold some places.

yes its been a week.. an the package says 100%

Keep in mind also that if you backwash, you are going to lose CYA down the drain. Backwash your filter fairly soon after adding CYA and you could lose almost all of it. Rule of thumb is not to backwash for at least a week after adding CYA to give it enough time to dissolve into solution. It dissolves pretty slowly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.