Somewhat new with a couple questions.

Sep 12, 2009
We've owned out 16 x 32 AG pool for about 3 years now. After spending a ton of money at our local pool store I decided to try the BBB method. Found it a little bit of a challenge initially but I THINK I have the hang of it now. First question, let's say your numbers are all good everything looks good i.e. no algae or cloudy water- how often SHOULD the filter be run? Secondly- what are these little tiny black swimming bugs I see and do they mean I have a problem? Thanks

You should run the filter enough to circulate the volume of water in the pool through the filter at least 1x per day. For most pools that will be around 4 hours, but the time needed depends on the speed of the pump and the capacity of the filter.

The black bugs could be boatmen or backswimmers. Do they bite? Usually if your FC is good they go away.

Can you post a current set of test results?

Welcome to the forum :lol:

how often SHOULD the filter be run? Secondly- what are these little tiny black swimming bugs I see and do they mean I have a problem?
Pump run time depends a lot on your equipment, surroundings, etc.

Mine seems to work good at about 10 hours daily split into two sessions.

The little bugs do indicate a problem. There is a VERY good chance your pool has inadequate chlorine. Post a set of test results and we can help.

zea3 beat me...saying the same thing, though. :lol:

Ok, just ran a fresh set of results using my new Taylor K-2006 (hoping I did this right)

FC 4.5
CC 1
PH 7.2
TA 200
CH 300
CYA 35
Aside from the little swimming black bugs, the water itself looks really good. A little bit of brown dusty looking stuff on the bottom, which I just finished vacuuming to waste. I assume that is because I just finished fighting algae. Let me know what you think.

Not bad. the cc result of 1.0 indicates the need to shock the pool. Even though you have clear water and those cc's may clear out on their own. I would still shock to get rid of the bugs and any remaining algae from before. (that brown stuff is likely dead algae)

Following the strict guidelines in Pool School, I would shock the pool at a rqte of about 16ppm until you meet these three criteria....
1. Your water is crystal clear.
2. You lose less than 1.0 FC during the FC overnight loss test
3. Your CC's test is .5 or less

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.