Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris 360 cracked frame repair

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris 360 cracked frame repair

My 360 hasn't worked well since we bought the house/pool (it came with it). I've been cleaning the pool by hand, but there's a live oak over the pool that's dumping TONS of acorns & leaves in it and I'd like the polaris to deal with those.

So today I took it apart and discovered that the frame is cracked, directly below the drive shaft. This lets the frame flex enough that the gears sometimes don't mesh. Also, 2 of the bearings have lost all of their balls.

I've found tune up kits for about $100 that will replace all of the bearings, gears, belts, etc.

But the frame alone is another $100. I'm considering repairing it with epoxy, liquid nails or something similar.

Has anyone done a similar repair to a polaris, or other plastic cleaner? What adhesives, epoxies, etc. are recommended for swimming pool/chlorine applications?
    13K gal - IG gunite/plaster - 1 1/2 HP pump - 300lb. sand filter - SWCG
    Support TFP!

2. Back To Top    #2
    I would use Gorilla Glue. It's passes ANSI/HPVA HP-I-2000 Types 1 and 2 (waterproof)). Just don't use very much. Use a toothpick to put it between the cracks. It expands when it dries for some reason but it is strong. Oh yeah, use clamps to hold the pieces together until the glue is fully cured.
    30K gal. IG Free form
    Cartridge Filter, Solar and Gas Heater
    Using BBB

3. Back To Top    #3

Just following up on this old post to say the Gorilla Glue worked perfectly. Had to make a jig to clamp the odd angles of the frame and made sure not to have any glue squeeze out anywhere that another piece had to sit flush against it. Installed a $99 rebuild kit and my 360 is good as new!
    Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Hoo- Rah!!

Now we know that the units can be mended with a touch of Gorilla Glue -- I'm sure others will find this useful
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry
    Hey, Jules,

Nice work!! I don't know what Gorilla glue is. Is it a two-part epoxy?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Hey, Jules,

Nice work!! I don't know what Gorilla glue is. Is it a two-part epoxy?
    Not at all. Very easy to use right out of the bottle. You can find it just about anywhere in the hardware section. Just use less than you think. It expands abit when it cures.

TFPJules111, glad to hear it worked. Better to spends $100 on something else than a new frame
    30K gal. IG Free form
    Cartridge Filter, Solar and Gas Heater
    Using BBB

7. Back To Top    #7

Re: Polaris 360 cracked frame repair

Just to give an update, a little over a year after the repair and the Polaris is still running great. Hurray for Gorilla Glue!
    Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Re: Polaris 360 cracked frame repair

I've always fixed frames this way, too.

Just for reference if you do need a new frame you need to send your old frame back to Polaris before they'll send you a new one. They don't just sell the frames to dealers without getting the old one back first.
    Josh Ulfers - TFP Supporting Vendor - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps