Need help/advice. Major problems with new pool install.

Apr 22, 2011
Ohio
Ok, I have had NOTHING but bad luck, pertaining to getting a pool this year. If I had to do it all over, I think I may have never purchased one. From the excavator almost making the retaining wall too tight, to him almost installing the drainage to tight, to now the drainage is not even working! (pool was in 4 inches of water yesterday, but that's another story)

The installers had everything out of the boxes, and all over my yard. When they went to install the wall, they took it out of the box, and it had a dent in it. (You can tell it was from pressure from the tiedown strap used by the delivery guys. :grrrr: :grrrr: He said I could stop now, but then I would have to put all that Crud back into my garage, wait about 2 weeks for a replacement, and then schedule another install. I decided to live with the dent, which shows up in two spots, since the wall was rolled up.

Anyways, everything looked great for over half the job. (I took time lapse pics, which I will post some time in the future) They had the wall almost complete, and one guy was inside. A guy from the outside went to hand him the liner, which they never unfolded to let heat up. (Admittedly, it was about 74 outside and not too sunny.) As he handed it to the inside guy, he slipped a little and the liner fell onto the top of the wall. It bowed in some, and then they caught it. Nothing bad, no creases or folds, BUT, what they did not notice was, that the wall came off the bottom track at that spot. So they get the liner all in place, and all the top rails besides 2. The water truck is waiting there to fill. He had the liner smoothed out and everything. Thanks goodness, right before they started filling, they noticed the bottom rail. They took off about 2 more top rails, and the liner off about 10ft. The inside guy stepped over the liner, so he could be between the liner and wall. They got it back on the bottom rail, but got a little dirt in one area as you can see from the pic. Also, as you can see, they did not get the bottom rails back to where they should be, but they are "in" about an inch.

I talked to the shop, and they said they are SURE there is not structural risk, and if I want, they will replace the wall this fall or next spring. From there, I was fairly set at ease. The installer came back out, and said he could dig under it, and try to pull it out a little and see if I would be happy with that. If I was, then great, if not, then they could still do the new wall later. He also said there was NO structural risk, since the wall was still in the track, and there was nothing causing it to get worse. I asked how he would replace the wall. He said they would drain the water (my expense, but in contract :rant: ) and fold the liner in on itself a little. Then put up new wall and then rehang the liner.

Ok, NOW I am worried all over again! Do you REALLY think they can rehang the liner, and get all the screw holse to line up perfectly, without them having to pull or stretch the liner in one direction or another?? Also, the liner will be all stretched out, won't it be VERY difficult to get it all filled back with water without any wrinkles? What makes this all even worse, is the fact that he got this liner installed without ONE wrinkle, and the water level is within 1/8 of an inch all the way around. :-D Not to mention, they would have to push out my backfill around the pool, in order to get the wall and bottom tracks in the right spot, I would assume. AND, I also paid for foam coving that is STUCK to the wall. So I wonder if that will have to be replaced.

So, I need some advice. What would you do? I have thought of a few options:

1) Tell them (politely) I do not like the idea of the same liner being reused, since I am worried about how the holes will line up. And I want a new wall AND new liner or they can just come and pick up the whole darn thing and refund my money.

2) "IF" this is really no risk of structural damage at all, then ask them how much it would cost for a new wall and install, and then ask for that money to be refunded to me, and if it ever goes bad, it is my problem.

I am a pessimist at heart, unfortunately. I just know, that if they come and redo it, something else will go wrong. :(

Lastly, the bottom of my pool is so bad. It is not smooth at all. I honestly do not believe it is the installers fault. I watched him use a roller to smooth out the sand, and then he took a soft bristle brush. It looked good. I have alot of clay in my ground, and the ground was somewhat still soft. They said, as did my excavator, that is was fine and they had seen much worse. You could jump up and down and feel the ground give. Heck, you could just shift weight from one foot to the other and tell the ground was giving. I think the ground is just too saturated down deep and it did not stay smooth once the water went in. If they install again in the spring, you think maybe the ground would be settled and compact by then and I could have them lat more sand and smooth out before the wall install? Sigh, I really want to give up. This all gives me a sick feeling every day.

Dent, the line below the dent is just a design swirl:
135835957.jpg

The buckling. Is my pool at risk at all??
135835988.jpg

Dirt in the track:
135836030.jpg

Did the wall buckling in the 2nd pic fix itself after filling the pool? Nobody will ever know those two small dents are there but you probably. Not an issue. Pretty sure every AGP bottom will have some degree of divots and creases from sand settling and shifting. Mine does. At least you know where most of the dirt ends up!

woodyp said:
Did the wall buckling in the 2nd pic fix itself after filling the pool? Nobody will ever know those two small dents are there but you probably. Not an issue. Pretty sure every AGP bottom will have some degree of divots and creases from sand settling and shifting. Mine does. At least you know where most of the dirt ends up!

No, the buckling did NOT correct after water was filled. That buckling, is enough to put pressure on the upright, and the upright is bowed out and about 3/4 of an inch away from the pool wall up top. I have to disagree about every pool bottom looking like that. The rest of the pool wall is perfect. I cannot see how a paver would shift an inch inward or outward from settling. If that was the case, then if one side shifted an inch left, and the other shifted an inch right, the pool wall would be off 2 inches, and SURELY it would pop out of the bottom rail or have an extreme bulge.

Ouch! Wow! I feel for you. I'm guessing that if they use that same liner on a new wall, they'd have a tough time lining the skimmer & screws up, and the return hole. The liner will stay pliable for a year, but after that would shrink. Not impossible, but tough. Don't know if it's overhang or beaded. What's causing the bottom of the pool to bulge and kick out a support is the ground is too high at that point, pushing up on the rail, and not allowing the pool to settle and come into its own. They can come out (or you) and use a putty knife or something slim to excavate a small amount of dirt out from underneath that rail. The rail drops, the bulge goes away (or becomes less exagerated), and the support plumbs itself out.
Or, you could pound your consumer chest and demand that they make it right. New wall, new liner, wet & tamp the interior floor and make it smooth, all on their dime. There's alot of cons with your situation and the only pro is that the pool is level.
Maybe try to dig a little dirt out to drop that rail, if you're still unhappy in the morning call them back and demand they make it right.

What would you guys do? If they can come out and get the wall pretty darn close, would you just let it go and not make them replace the wall? That was the side I was leaning toward, until I found that the pool floor was so bad. Has anyone had a new pool with such a bad floor bottom? I mean, there is not one spot that is flat and smooth. The ground is so soft. :(

First off, get some type of written confirmation about what the pool install company will/won't do to rectify this and what that covers in terms of replacement, seriously, don't just take them at their word cause you may show up in the fall to get a new wall installed and they may have a major change of attitude. They could try to say that you made it worse or that if it lasted all summer it's fine, etc.

Have them document what the re-install covers, to me that should include everything that is compromised, hammer out the details on the cove, liner etc.
I'm not an expert but I think the liner should be ok to put back after 1 summer, but research this.

You need to protect yourself, you laid out a bunch of cash and THEY were negligent, their negligence should not cost YOU extra money, your not being a jerk by holding them to what they responsible for, nor do you want to be "nice" and let them walk all over you.

You may decide to keep this install as is but protect yourself and document the terms of all this!!!

cramar said:
First off, get some type of written confirmation about what the pool install company will/won't do to rectify this and what that covers in terms of replacement, seriously, don't just take them at their word cause you may show up in the fall to get a new wall installed and they may have a major change of attitude. They could try to say that you made it worse or that if it lasted all summer it's fine, etc.

Have them document what the re-install covers, to me that should include everything that is compromised, hammer out the details on the cove, liner etc.
I'm not an expert but I think the liner should be ok to put back after 1 summer, but research this.

You need to protect yourself, you laid out a bunch of cash and THEY were negligent, their negligence should not cost YOU extra money, your not being a jerk by holding them to what they responsible for, nor do you want to be "nice" and let them walk all over you.

You may decide to keep this install as is but protect yourself and document the terms of all this!!!

Thanks. And the more I think about it, the more I think I may try to stay with this install. They would have to mess up any landscaping I do, and undo the backfill, and if they simply undo the liner, then put it back on, I got to hope the pool bottom doesn't get messed up, etc... I plan to have the installer come out and see if he can get it to unbuckle a little. If it does, I may see, since they offered a new install of a new wall, to give me a new wall, and no install, and we call it even. Would it be worth it for me to keep a new wall stashed in the basement for years and years, or would it have too much "memory" or being rolled up tightly for so long. What I would ultimately like to do, is see if they would refund me part of that cost, for a new wall and install, and then we go our separate ways, so to speak.

I will be one EXTREMELY unhappy camper, if I decide to get them to replace all this, and it ends up worse somehow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.