Intex pump flow issues

Hey all,

I have been having a problem over the last couple of weeks with flow. I currently have a Krystal Clear Filter Pump 637R and Krystal Clear SWG CS8110. It started out that we had to change our first filter after about 10 days as we could not clean it enough to get flow. The next filter worked well for about 5 days and then same thing. I used a generic A filter last night and by this morning I was getting low flow again.

Each of the filters have come out with a dark coloring in the filter after only a day and again cleaning them only works so well.

So I know that the pump we are using is really not the best as far as overall flow and efficiency however I had hoped it would last at least one year before we had to replace for a larger pump.

Over all the poll numbers have been good and the water is clear but for some reason the filter gets funky quick.

So do I get a bigger pump? or is there something I can do with the filters/pump so they don't clog so quickly?

I will get some when I get home from work but here is my last set.

FC 2.5
CC 0
TC 2.5
PH 7.5
T/A 130
CH 400
CYA 70

At the time I added the recommended Clorox and Acid. I know the FC/CC/TC is a little low from this test and when I test tonight I expect it to be low again. We got a lot of rain this week (at least for us it was alot because it hadn't rained here in like 6 months) and because of the pump not flowing the SWG has not been running like we usually run it.

Test Kit is a TF-100

There are a couple other places that tend to get obstructed. There is a little wire strainer where the water flows into the SWG. Unscrew the large plastic nut to get to it. Just hose it off. Also, where the hose from the pool enters the pump is another place that tends to get blocked.

I found the problem. It was clogged at the strainer at the pool lining. After the skimmer but before the pump. I should have known as I had to clean that once before but I didn't. I just happen to think about it today after I messed with the pump a bit and bam there it was. A big wad of hair and other Crud. Didn't look like a lot but was taking about 1/3rd of my flow at least.

I need to drain some water and then test but at least my issue is solved. Live and Learn!

Etouffee said:
I found the problem. It was clogged at the strainer at the pool lining. After the skimmer but before the pump. I should have known as I had to clean that once before but I didn't. I just happen to think about it today after I messed with the pump a bit and bam there it was. A big wad of hair and other ****. Didn't look like a lot but was taking about 1/3rd of my flow at least.

I need to drain some water and then test but at least my issue is solved. Live and Learn!

This exact problem is extremely common. Some else just had this the other day. :rant: The older Intex didnt have this feature, but I think they do it for liability reasons. In any event, I took the grids out of mine with a dremel. I let the pump stainer take care of that. :party:

Etouffee said:
I found the problem. It was clogged at the strainer at the pool lining. After the skimmer but before the pump. I should have known as I had to clean that once before but I didn't. I just happen to think about it today after I messed with the pump a bit and bam there it was. A big wad of hair and other ****. Didn't look like a lot but was taking about 1/3rd of my flow at least.

I have the same issue and hate when the stuff floats up from that. Was wondering if I could soak cheesecloth in beeswax and form it inside the skimmer basket. Would that harm anything? Could it help to get the little stuff?

Etouffee said:
I found the problem. It was clogged at the strainer at the pool lining.

Thank you! We just vacuumed our pool for the first time this morning and have been stumped about our flow issues all morning. It didn't occur to us to look inside the pool. :oops:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.