Pump/Filter with built-in GFCI and plugged into a GFCI outle

keithk

Jul 11, 2010
As the subject says, I have a new Intex sand filter that has a GFCI built into the plug. I have it plugged into a timer that is plugged into a GFCI on the front of the house. Problem is, when I have it this way and the timer shuts the pump off, it trips both GFCI. ANyone have an idea what is going on?

Re: Pump/Filter with built-in GFCI and plugged into a GFCI o

If you plug it into a non-gfci receptacle does it trip the Intex gfci?

Some gfci's don't like to be connected in series with other gfci's.

Also the pump on the Intex could be creating a spike on the neutral line when the hot is disconnected. Therefore causing the gfci's to sense it and trip.

How old is the timer?

I haven't tried the non-GFCI, was going to try it. The timer is 5 years old. I would think it's the outlet, the timer has never given me any problems.

It is very rare for a mechanical timer to cause problems for a GFCI, and much more likely for the GFCI outlet to go bad. I would definitely try replacing the outlet GFCI.

Same result, trips the GFCI on the cord.

Past years (Before I had the sand filter) I have the kids turn the pump on by the switch on the Intermatic timer, then off when they are done. I have the timer set to come on in the middle of the night for 2-3 hours to turn the water over. This isn't working anymore, as soon as we turn the switch off via the Intermatic timer, the GFCI trips. I'm tempted to cut the end of the cord off and put a regular plug on the end.

Suggestions other than contacting Intex?

I have a Intex sand filter with GFCI built into the cord also. Whenever power is cut off from the cord, from a timer, power outage, or even just unplugging it, it seems to trip the GFCI. In my case my outlet was not a GFCI, so I still needed to use the Intex one. I cut the cord after the intex GFCI and put a female plug on it to make a small GFCI extension cord out of it, bonus I now have a GFCI extension cord! I than plugged my timer into it, so the timer is only cutting power to the pump, and not the GFCI and pump, and presto no more tripping the GFCI.
Sorry 'bout the winded explanation, but long story short, put a regular plug on it since you have a GFCI outlet and it should fix your problem.

Reactions: nick2788

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I'm going to have to take a look at mine to see if I can simply unscrew it as I have the same issue. It doesn't trip my receptacle's GFCI, but the Intex one will trip even when disconnected from power. I pulled out my Intermatic mechanical timer yesterday only to find these results too (which I was expecting because of how it trips even when pulled from power.) I definitely don't want to cut the cord and void the warranty, but I do have an extra plug I can install sitting in the garage ready to go!

having the same problem. What a pain. I'd like to not cut up my cord, and I will now have to install a gfci outlet in place of the one in my pole barn. But Im not running this pump 24/7 and I dont want to go out everynight and turn it on and off.

Bump

Only takes 4 Phillips screws to access the wires. You do not need to remove the spanner screws. If your outside outlet is already a GFCI, just buy a regular plug and connect the wires

Attachments

• 20170605_184848.jpg
    20170605_184848.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: nick2788
I have tried both timers with my above ground pool pump. It has a built in GFI and the reset button is used to start the pump and the test button to turn it off. The timer will turn the pump off but cannot start it. Any suggestions to set it to start, turn off and start again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.