Oh no! Not a dead Frog!

BadOleRoss

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 30, 2011
Lynchburg VA
I checked my FC this evening and it had dropped to 2.5, my CC had risen to 1.0! NO NO NO, I don't want to shock! There was a big ole dead from in my skimmer that smelled like.....well, it smelled really bad. I am wondering if this is the source of my chlorine demand? I am going to see what the numbers look like over the next couple of days before I start shocking again. I have already vacuumed and brushed the pool and back flushed the filter.

FC 2.5 (Added 2 jugs of chlorine so it should be between 9-10ppm now)
CC 1.0
CYA 50
TA 90
PH 7.6

BOR, you're kidding me!

You just finished getting your pool perfect and you don't wanna shock? :hammer:

Your FC is below the min for your CYA and you have 1.0 CC!

Not to mention a dead frog. :shock:

Why do you want to wait? Catching it as early as possible will make it easier on you all the way around!

I feel for you. I pulled a dead bird out of my skimmer today - what sucked was I tested at lunch and FC was perfect at 7 (cya of 60) and 0 CC. Then we had some friends over and 5 kids in the pool for an hour and a half. When they left I was cleaning up, checking for toys in the skimmer, reached in and felt something weird (I don't have a top access to my skimmer!) - I jumped back so hard I knocked the weir off. I was totally freaked about what I'd just exposed the kids to but FC measured 6 and CC still 0. I bumped up the CL just to be safe, still below shock but if Inhave any CC tomorrow it's shock time! I guess I'm saying good luck and keep at it - I may be right there with you too.

I checked the FC this morning and it was sitting at 21.5ppm, CC was 0 ppm. I am hopeful that I beat it down before it got a foot hold on my pool. I will do an overnight check tonight. I had to work an overnight shift the day before and didn't get to check the pool. On top of that, the kids had several friends over. I am sure all of this on top of the dead frog in the skimmer lead to my FC drop. My pool is one fickle lady!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Woohoo, passed the overnight test! FC was 11ppm last night and 11ppm this morning even after sunlight had hit the pool....I overslept! CC was 0ppm. So, I guess that the key to having to shock is to jump on the shock as soon as you see a problem and the problem might be very short lived. I was so worried that I was going to spend another week shocking like I did when I first started BBB. I love the feeling of knowing what is going on with my pool water.

Two years ago we went on vacation for a week..had the FIL watching the house, no apparent problems. Got home and kids wanted to swim, no problem, I'll pull of the solar cover and check things out. OOPS...one of the local rabbits must have fallen in and got stuck under the cover while we were gone, now he's a gelatinous glob. Even the leaf skimmer mesh wouldn't pick it out except for the bones. Pool guy took a week to get it cleaned up. Don't remember what all we put in there but it was a mess.

Two weeks later the oldest daughter tells me the pool looks really clear since it happened. I told her that the natural fibers in the rabbit fur make excellent filter media. She got out immediately and it took a half hour to convince her I was joking!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.