Has this happened to anyone else with Intex pool...

May 7, 2011
I have a 15x48 metal frame pool and we upgraded the pump to the intex 2011 sand filter. Today when I was running the filter the return hose came off of the return hole (I'm using the adapters) :shock: :shock: :shock: :evil: . Thank God I looked out of the window and noticed that the pool looked low. When I ran outside the pump was pumping water out all over the yard :shock: . What can I do to make sure this doesn't happen again? It seems like such a terrible design to just have the tubes clamp down on the return, instead to screwing together. Any advice please...

Well, I hear ya. Had this happen when I forgot to tighten the clamp, but fortunately I was still right there. Are you sure you had them clamped tight enough?

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do. If you are using the orginal clear intex hoses with the inserts you might be able to change those to standard pump hoses. I can't think of much else at the moment, sorry.

I may not have had them clamped all the way :oops: . I tightened them, but I may not have screwed it all the way down. I'm new to all this stuff. I should probably have my husband try and tighten them even more when he gets home (he's a lot stronger then I am).

A socket wrench will let you tighten the screws on the hose clamps much better than a screwdriver, no matter what your strength.

(It may seem obvious to many people that the slotted hex-head on a hose clamp will work with a wrench, but it wasn't to me until I saw someone else using a wrench instead of a screwdriver on one)

jml said:
A socket wrench will let you tighten the screws on the hose clamps much better than a screwdriver, no matter what your strength.

(It may seem obvious to many people that the slotted hex-head on a hose clamp will work with a wrench, but it wasn't to me until I saw someone else using a wrench instead of a screwdriver on one)

Yep, a small socket can be so much nicer. I will caution you however on over tightening. If you go too far, you will creat small leaks when you get things out of round. Especially true on the suction side. Voice of experience talking.

I used the adapters for a couple of years and I hated every minute of it. I have the same pool and I had a friend with a 18'. The 18' has the regular screw type inserts on the pool side. He had some extras so I cut the black tube thing out and put the others in. Now I can screw the plunger to the pool without the adapter. It looks better without the styrofoam blocks that I had propping it all up! :-D

It was very scary to make the first cut and our pool was several years old by then.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.