Connecting intex pump to skimmer and return

crs16

Gold Supporter
Jun 21, 2011
Albuquerque, NM
I just started reading this site a week ago. Amazing info!! Thanks so much for all the work everyone puts into it.

Here's my problem. I need to connect the intex plunger valve to our skimmer and return. Had no clue when I bought the combo pump saltwater chlorine generator that intex used nonstandard connections.

Here's the deets on our pool:
Sharkline 12'x17'x52" opera above ground pool
Intex combo cartridge filter pump saltwater chlorine generator (model CS8111)

Keep in mind we are not normally diy'ers. But we had to purchase this online and put it up ourselves because we could not find anyone to do it for us. (Albuquerque, NM) So our skills are minimal, my husband is an engineering physicist and has done some plumbing work around the house, but for big jobs we usually hire someone.

Does anyone know an easy fix for our connection problem? My husband says basically our problem is this: a way to connect the 2 3/8" threaded connector from the intex valve (10 threads per inch) to the 1.5" smooth male pipe at the bottom of the skimmer and the same for the return.

Thanks everyone for any advice you can give us!

Cindy

I don't know if there will be an easy fix. Another member did something like you are talking about, but not sure you have the exact situation. A link is below, and maybe it will help. May not be something you want to do, but it might help. Someone here is likely going to have the answer. I think Intex stinks for doing this, but what can you do when its what you have? Sorry to not be of more help.

Here is the link....pretty ingenious from one of our members.

custom-pvc-pipe-adapter-for-intex-pools-t28971.html

I did see that, thanks! Unfortunately it isn't quite the same situation. And my husband isn't quite sure about completely redoing the plumbing in pvc. Not sure of his ability that is. :lol:

The plunger valve is a female 2 3/8" threaded piece to the smooth 1/5" male piece at the pool.

I believe the threaded nut on the intex plunger is a standard 2" thread. You could adapt the 1.5" pipe at the pool up to 2" and then add a 2" male connector on the end for the plunger to attach to. you may have to do something creative to insure that there is no leaking between the 2 but that could be a simple gasket.

Thanks for the help foster. I was under the impression (given to me by my husband) that the thread was actually 2 1/4" or 2 3/8". He has this afternoon off so we'll be hitting the plumbing stores this afternoon. I'll update when we figure this thing out.

Thanks!
Cindy

After visiting four more places, and finding nothing that helps (2inch standard pipes did not thread into our intex plunger valve) we have opted to scrap the intex pump/filter/swcg. We will be returning it. Instead we purchased a sandpro 4511 pump and filter. We may at a later date try adding the swcg, but for now we'll stick with adding the liquid chlorine.

Liner goes in tomorrow and the kids are so excited!

Cindy
Sharkline 12'x17'x52" opera agp
Sandpro 4511 sand filter and pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.