no skimmer flaps

To give a totally useless answer, its not a problem until it becomes a problem! Meaning that the weir or skimmer door does serve a function, but unless the water level gets too low you are not likely to notice. The floating weir helps regulate the flow of water into the skimmer when the pump is on. When the pump is off, it closes and keeps debris in the skimmer from floating back into the pool. If you do not have a lot of falling, floating debris in your pool, then you won't be bothered by debris washing back into the pool. If the water level starts to get low, you will see more of a vortex effect sucking air into the skimmer without a weir in place.

The weir actually does two things:
- When the pump is on, it lets the top edge float around the water level and affects the flow characteristics into the skimmer. Its increases the flow into the skimmer so that more surface debris gets drawn into the skimmer.
- blocks debris from flowing back out of the skimmer when the pump turns off.

A vortex action is mostly due to the amount of suction from your pump.

Our skimmer weir was non-functional because it lost the foam piece that allows it to float at the surface of the water. Without this, the flow into the skimmer was very weak and often the leaves would just sink to the bottom of the pool. I replaced that foam, and now the skimmer is working great. The weir serves to increase the speed of surface water, and this is important for skimmer function.

I have regular baskets that sink to the bottom of the skimmer. From what am learning, having a full blown vortex in the skimmer isn't how it should look though. I am concerned though because I have excellent suction and the skimmers still aren't working well. Plus, when the pump shuts off at 7pm, anything that was in the skimmer is back into the pool for swim time at 8. :(

I felt around in the skimmer and there's holes for a door hinge of some sort. I need to order some online, is there anything I need to look for or are these doors all standard?

Thanks!

Some universal replacement doors use a spring to push a pad out both sides and then use the friction between the pad and the skimmer sides to hold the weir in place ... these could work if you are not able to determine the correct door to mount (screw?) into you skimmer.

UPDATE!

I got the model number off the opening of the skimmer. It's a Hayward 1070. Luckily the local PS had the flaps in stock. I picked up 2 @ ~25 each and they installed pretty easily. They're working perfectly and now that I am running the filter only 6 hours a day now, all the stuff doesn't end up right back in the pool!

I also picked up the OEM baskets for the skimmer because the ones that the previous owners had in there were actually too small and was letting water seep around the basket.

Thanks for all the help, another step on my way to my very own Trouble Free Pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Our skimmer weir was non-functional because it lost the foam piece that allows it to float at the surface of the water. Without this, the flow into the skimmer was very weak and often the leaves would just sink to the bottom of the pool. I replaced that foam, and now the skimmer is working great. The weir serves to increase the speed of surface water, and this is important for skimmer function.

Where did you get the foam to replace in the weir and what type of foam is it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.