Can I still run filter if the air bleed screw broke off?

Feb 14, 2011
We were cleaning out the grids in our DE filter today, and noticed that somewhere during the process, the air bleed screw on the pressure gauge area on top broke off. It appears that part is still embedded in there, and there's a hole that the air freely hisses out of now when the pump is on (as if the air bleed screw was always open).

The problem is that this seems like it may be an older model. All I know about the filter is from the sticker on it, it says it's a "Hayward Purex Triton 2000 Series" and that's it. I've looked online and at Hayward's site, and can't seem to find this model anywhere for replacement parts. Is it really old? Does anyone know where I might be able to find this part, and is it even possible to replace? I'd hate to buy a whole new filter system just because the stupid little plastic part broke off, grr.

Also, is it an issue if I run it in its current state, with air hissing out?

Here's a picture of the area that broke:
1000064s.jpg

1000063ov.jpg

Well, the answer is. "No" but you have two issues that need attention.

1. Find the part and fix it....you may have to get something else with matching threads to plug that leak because.......

2. Most importantly, when your system is operating properly, the air should be purged in VERY little time and WATER should shoot out. That yours apparently does not do that indicates you have a suction side air leak that is likely giving your very poor pump performance.

My guess is that the clear lid on your pump never fills with water and you can see splashing/turbulence, etc. inside.....is that correct?

As Dave said, you need to fix that and the air leak.

The "T" fitting that the air bleed and the gauge is screwed into is just a 1/4" NPT Tee. All you need to do is unscrew the tee and replace it. You can also buy a petcock or valve where you get the tee and it'll work as an air bleed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.