New Pool... Lots of ideas.

GLWOOD

Jun 21, 2011
Hello everyone, great site here. I have spent a long time lurking at all the information and have used alot of it in the installation of our 18 ABG. We sank it in the ground 16" It turned out great. I have a couple of queations thought. First one is how far away can I mount my pump and filter from my pool? My pump looks to be a one horse older(I got the pool used for free) vacuzzi pump. I have it set up next to the pool now and it is really moving the water around. I would like to move the pump and filter to the side of the house. Actually there is a part B to this question, what would be my best bet to get the water up to the second story roof to run through solar panels? Would I need a bigger pump? Booster?
My second questions is has anyone actually mounted their solar cover under the wooden deck? Most ABG solar reels roll from the middle. I was wondering if I could roll it from the one end. I would have to lengthed the straps that attach the cover to the reel occordinly so the cover would roll in straight. I hope I explained that good enough to get some ideas.

Thanks so much for the info I have already used and I am anxiously awaiting some replies back.

Grant

I've found min distance info for pump to pool to be confusing and ridiculous, to be honest. My documentation says something like 10' but the power cord on the unit is 3' long and the hose supplied is 6' in a straight line (which is impossible to connect in a straight line and works out to be realistically 3 feet or so, for a total of about 5-6 feet).

Everything else I've read, including various bylaws, seems to average out to at least 5-6 feet away. Seems like the main idea is that the connection to power should be outside the splash zone, which makes sense.

Thanks for the reply cramar. I say a post from awhile back from bama rambler that said you could go 100 feet. My pump runs super strong. I think I might just move it and try it temporarly and see it it works. I am looking at going about 40 feet.

Grant

Thanks for the info Bama, now my next question for you is will I be okk to bury the hose say 10" the come up to the pump? Will the ABG pool pump suck up the water? There still should be a tonne of pressure so I don't see it being a problem. What do you think? I think I am going to simulate the move by moving the equipment and placing it above the ground 10"-12" off the ground and running just some poly line temporary to see the results. This will be next weeks chore...

Grant

:wave: My lines are about 40' away from the pool. I used 2" lines per the advice of the pros here on TFP. My pressure holds steady at 11psi. My only downfall is the height of the pump as compared to the level of pool water... every time I open the strainer basket lid water pours out, even if I have the ball valve closed... small price to pay for now. It did it before I moved the pump and put the ball valve on it anyway...
~~Super speed basket stainer emptier! :whoot:

Thanks frot he reply esim, where did you make the switch to 2". If I am correct its 1.5" that comes out of the skimmer and 1.5" into to the return. Did you use hard pipe or ly when you made the 40' run?

GRant

Here's a pic of skimmer side...
DSCN0363.jpg

Here's a pic of pump..
DSCN0360.jpg

I came out 1.5 then coupled to 2 and reverse at the pump. Hope this helps!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.