How to install valves in 1-1/2" hose?

cmoore

Jun 22, 2011
Antelope, CA
We have a Summer Escapes brand 15' round frame pool. It came with an in-wall skimmer that takes a type C filter and has a built-in 1000 GPH pump.

We're replacing the pump/filter with a GAME SandPRO system. The system has a 1/2 HP pump and a sand filter.

I bought a conversion adapter that replaces the built-in pump with a connector for a 1-1/2" hose. I assembled and mounted the new filter system, bought some 1-1/2" hose, and hooked it all up. Then it occurred to me - I need a valve in the hoses to be able to shut off water from the pool to the filter for maintenance.

I've looked at PVC ball valves, but PVC sizes seem to have nothing in common with pool filter hose sizes. Plus, I'm not sure how I'd connect one to the other.

I did find a "1-1/2" Insert Male Adapter" at http://www.mydiscountpoolsupplies.com/i ... 1itvn2li05 but I'm not sure it would work.

If someone has done a similar setup using 1-1/2" hose, can you tell me what kind of valves you used and how you connected them to the hose?

Thanks!

Chris

You need something like the 1.5 barb x 1.5 spigot fitting on this page, which will glue into standard PVC slip fittings and provides a barb connector to attach hose.

Valves come in a wide variety of quality levels, from simple ball valves like these to fancier ones like the Jandy 2-Way Never Lube Valve.

That is basically what you need, a barb fitting. Sprinkler/Irrigation supply places usually have a very good selection of sizes, and sometimes different types. Take at least a piece of your hose with you if you go local. Spears is one of the most prolific makers of this sort of stuff, and they make excellent ball valves too. Plain old ball valve in sched 40 will be fine and easy to find.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.