Chlorease CL01 not working...

Jun 17, 2011
I have been renting a house for the past year, and with it came an empty pool. I replaced the liner, filled it, and got it all up to spec. Last season I had Baquacil in it, and hated the huge amounts of money spent on it. (this was before I discovered this site) So, when winter came, I did nothing to it to allow all the Baquacil stuff to disappear.

A Chlorease CL01 was installed on the side of the pool, and not being able to convince the wife that a saltwater pool was better since I had never had one, we didn't use it. Now a new season is begun (we were going to buy a house, but that fell through so we stayed put, hence the very late opening).

Thanks to this site and the awesome info here, I've got the pool almost back to clear from the green swampy tadpole infested murk it was. I've already added the salt to the pool in anticipation of being done with shocking it.

So, I go to the greenhouse where the controls and plug for the chlorease are, and discover it doesn't work. Poor planning on my part, right?

I've determined the problem is with the little control box that has the two lights in it that signify whether it is operating correctly(green light) or if it has low salt, low water or needs cleaning(red light), or if the salt is too high and has shut off(no lights).

So now the big question is, do I need this box other than to tell me the above info?
I have already verified that it does indeed function without it by taking the box out of the circuit. I just need to know if it poses any danger to me not knowing these things. You know, silly things like electrocution or something like that. I am not too worried about failure of the unit itself. I have already looked at several intex SWCG's on craigslist, and can find them fairly cheap, but I would rather avoid the cost if possible. Any help is greatly appreciated.

From what I can tell by the manual, I think the only thing the box does is stop voltage to the cell if the salt content of the pool gets too high. Other than that it is just an indicator of operations. I'm reasonably sure that proper pool monitoring would result in safe use of the cell, and that the lights are only there for ease of use/laziness in testing pool water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.