Air in the line & a pinhead size hole in the filter's casing

Water_man

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2008
Brookline, MA
Hi all,
I just opened the pool after a long leave of absence and I have my pool work cut out for me.
I see through the transparent cover of the pump that there's air in the line. Also, I discovered a pin head size hole in the steel casing of the DE filter. The casing looks a bit rusted from outside.
I don't think that this hole can be responsible for so much air leaking.

I have two questions:

1. How to cover the hole permanently? Maybe an epoxy glue?
2. How to find the origin of the leak?
My equipment is described in the signature. It’s reasonably basic.

Re: Air in the line & a pinhead size hole in the filter's ca

It is nearly impossible to patch holes in the filter body permanently. You can temporarily patch it with epoxy from the inside, but that rarely holds very long.

Holes in the filter let water out while the pump is running. They can only let air in while the pump is off. Air in the pump strainer basket when the pump is running needs to come from somewhere between the pool and the strainer basket. The most common place is a bad seal on the lid of the pump strainer basket. It is also possible for a skimmer to draw in air through a vortex if the water level is too low. If it isn't either of those it must be a leak in the plumbing somewhere. On strategy to find such a leak is to slowly run water over each fitting you can get to with a garden hose and see if the air in the pump basket goes away. If the air goes away, the fitting you are running water over is the one that is leaking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.